• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you link a chart/graph from Excel into InDesign?

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been updates to link an chart/graph from Excel into InDesign for ease?

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bmulch,

You need to enable a preference.

This resource might prove useful.

https://redokun.com/blog/link-indesign-tables-to-excel-spreadsheets

Some formatting does get thrown out.

If you need more, you may need to look at a plugin. Woodwing for example has one called Smart Connection.

hth

.mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi master_mo,

importing a linked Excel file does not mean importing a chart graph from an Excel file.

As far as I can tell InDesign cannot do this. Never could. Also not with the current InDesign version 15.1.1.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My approach to graphs from Excel is to export a PDF from Excel to capture the image of the graph. I place this PDF into InDesign. 

A 2nd approach is to Save As the Excel spreadsheet as a simple .CSV file and use Illustrator's graph tools to import the data and build and decorate a graph. I then place this .AI file into InDesign.

We would all like a module within InDesign that builds graphs, of course, but such a feature does not yet exist.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the chart contains only solid colors copy/paste works quite well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, it looks like there isn't an update yet! Darn! When building a rather large document, I would like the option to refresh the graph in InDesign and it grab any changes made in excel. The charts are always updating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used this for a while:

https://www.cacidi.com/cacidi-charts-cc/

works great. However, anybody who wants to open the files has to have a copy installed with a license, it was expensive for us with a large team of users with indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines