Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you suppress page numbers?

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

In Acrobat, you can change the numbering style for pages to None, and then set the section numbering prefix to a text string, and the end result is that you have a text string for the page label rather than a number.   For example "Adam" or "Bob" rather than "1" or "2".

In Indesign, the same is true except that you apparently can't set the numbering style to None, and as a result you have something like myprefix1, myprefix2, etc. for each page within the section.

Is there a way to suppress the page numbers?   My script assembles PDFs and it would be nice to have the page numbers for each section display as Adam, Bob, Carol rather than numbered.   I don't need numbers within the section, and since my section names actually include numbers it is kind of confusing to read.

Thanks for the help!

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can. Insert a "Section marker" instead of a page number marker, e.g., given an insertion point called myIP:

myIP.contents = SpecialCharacters.SECTION_MARKER;

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unclear what I was asking to do, sorry-- I want to change the page number display like so, not a text field within my page:

The screenshot is from Acrobat.   In the Indesign document I'm using to generate my final PDF, the closest I can get is the section prefix followed by the page number:

But my actual section numbers are like A1, A2, A3 so having that extra page number tacked onto the end is super confusing to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well! … I suppose the page 5 will be "Eddy"! 

Capture d’écran 2017-09-03 à 21.05.20.png  

Capture d’écran 2017-09-03 à 21.10.30.png

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oups! … I mean "Donald"! …

Capture d’écran 2017-09-03 à 21.19.16.png

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You forgot all about David

how did you get indesign to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love Donald!!! … and Mickey, Minnie, … and Walt Disney! 

About the trick I used, I've just counted the chars!

A new section per page whose number is just the number of the last char in the alphabet! 

Capture d’écran 2017-09-03 à 21.39.06.png

I know, I'm crazy! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best bet is probably an Acrobat script to keep the label but remove the numbering for each page...

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would there be a way to strip out the numbering when exporting to PDF maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know of...

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I ended up doing was changing the numbering style (via PageNumberStyle attribute) to lowercase roman, so that I have for example A1 i, A1 ii, A1 iii for my page numbers, with E1 being my section prefix.  Using this code which I'm posting because it took me a while to figure out how to do it:

mySection.pageNumberStyle = PageNumberStyle.LOWER_ROMAN;     

It did occur to me that I could change the numbering style to Kanji or Hebrew and then it would be even more visually distinct from my section prefixes, but that would probably be confusing to the end user.

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines