• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot move or edit text boxes in InDesign 2021

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with an InDesign document created by someone else. There is a text box sitting atop a backgraound illustration. I couldn't select the text box to move it, so I moved the background illustration out of the way to get to it. I still was unable to move or edit the text box. I'm not sure why this text box is not movable or editable but it's very frustrating. I've relaunched the application to no avail. Is this a bug? Anyone have any ideas? I'm under deadline, so any responses to this issue would be great. BTW - I can see text edit markings - end of line characters, etc. - so, I know the text is editable and hasn't been converted to a graphic...if I could only get to it!!

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

A text frame on a document page that can't be edited may be the result of a few things:

1. The frame could be locked (Object menu)
  2. The frame could be on a locked layer
  3. The frame could be on the master page (master-page objects appear on all document pages that they are applied to, and those objects aren't editible on the document page unless released)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A text frame on a document page that can't be edited may be the result of a few things:

1. The frame could be locked (Object menu)
  2. The frame could be on a locked layer
  3. The frame could be on the master page (master-page objects appear on all document pages that they are applied to, and those objects aren't editible on the document page unless released)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Resolved earlier this evening via chat support. Someone else had created the document and locked down some text box layers. It wasn't immediately evident in the Layers window.

All the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suddenly have this same problem (can't move a text frame) within a document I created.
Answer supplied by Migintosh is not complete, obviously, as my text frame is not locked, not on a locked layer, not on a master page, yet it won't move. Not trying to edit the content, trying to move the position of the text frame - that used to freely move (and not all text frames on the various layers have this issue, just a few).
As this is a sudden issue for me, I suspect that it is related to the most recent "upgrades" to Id. The OP was nearly 2 years ago, so this is not something new. What's the real fix???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the possible reasons provided by the other users should be applicable to any file. I haven't seen any bugs regarding this with the new InDesign 2023 18.0 version. You're using the selection tool (black arrow, shortcut V), and not the direct selection tool (white arrow, shortcut A)?

Fastest way would be to share the INDD file so others can take a look. If not, screenshots or a video showcasing the issue would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, using the black pointer selection tool.
Ended up solving my issue by copy/pasting the text frames that wouldn't move and deleting the misbehaving ones. The copies did move and could be adjusted as normal.
The non-moving text frames, I noticed, had little anchor symbols at the top edge of the frame, but I could find no way to disengage the anchoring effect. The "anchor" function had not been selected for them (by me, and I'm the only one working with this file), and selecting it would not disengage the lock. Nor had the text frames been locked in any of the levels of "layers." Just weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, if they were anchored you can release them under Object > Anchored Object > Release.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/anchored-objects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, textframes and pictureframe are stuck, I cant move these items

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, had the problem recently and thought I'd post on here for anyone with the same issue in the future. For me the text box was locked in one of the masters, I didn't realise we had more than one as the pane displaying them was very small so I had to scroll down to find the master it was hidden on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just solved the problem, turned out I only need to hold Ctrl+Shift while selecting the elements/textbox I want to edit. Hope that's help someone in the future as well ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the solution. I am sure it will help other community members. In addition to this you can also select using the Direct Selection Tool. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your solution, you saved me a lot of time and pain !
Have a great day !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much - I've been rescued!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines