• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cannot open a jpg file indesign

Participant ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in InDesign and I am trying to open a jpg file to i could use it in a file but it says indesign may not support the file format,a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing. I have been doing the same action all this time but now it doesn't work. Any help

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you are wanting to first create an InDesign document and then Place the JPEG into that document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use File>Place - indesign cannot open image files - it only links to the files. 

I wrote an article here which covers a lot of questions you might have

https://creativepro.com/high-res-image-look-low-res/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> You need to use File>Place

Exactly that. Even if you find that you can drag&drop files for being embedded - don't do this!

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

InDesign isn't raster graphics redactor. This is creator of books and magazines. You can't "open" image classicaly as in Photoshop, you can place and when you need to redact you can open from InDesign this image in Photoshop. 

Some things about it - https://creativepro.com/make-edit-original-use-the-right-program/

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines