• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation.

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation." I am using InDesign 2020 on Mac. Please advise.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Toniko: You will need to let us know what kind of file you are trying to place in InDesign 2020.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you are correct without knowing the type of file we cannot sort it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My appologies. The files are .jpg. I have tried .png, .pdf, .ai and they all work fine. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you certail the file is a JPEG file? Just because the filename ends with .jpg does not mean it is a JPEG. It might also be corrupt or a JPEG 2000 file. Saved from Photoshop JPEG 2000 files usually end .jpf, but they can also end .jpg and open fine in Phtoshop. JPEG 2000 files cannot be placed in InDesign. Have you tried resaving as JPEG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is its file type one of the supported types? See a list on Supported file formats for InDesign (it says "CS5" but actually I don't believe the list has changed in the past decade – except for the very latest version, which added SVG).

Also, remember that changing a file extension does not magically make the file a correct type! You cannot rename a file from, say, "document.pages" (which would be an Apple Pages file) to "document.docx" and expect it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar problem. Any advices on how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem was solved by eliminating all special chars from the path. I also did uninstall/cleanup/reinstall, but I suspect that did not affect anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download example to some dropbox/yadisk service and give us the link. Without file you can't expect real help in your question. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue it is with a JPEG. I did not change the file type. There is clearly something else going on here. Can you please expand on these issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry file type .JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steinrueckn:

Are you able to open up the image in Photoshop? If so you can save it as a .PSD, or export it to a JPEG or PNG. Any of those formats can be placed in InDesign.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what version of InDesign are you? What macOS version?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact issue. InDesign is up to date. Using a MacOS Mojave.

Trying to import an Excel spreadsheet into ID and I get this same error message. Please advise! 

Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to save this file to some root folder without any special or non-latin character. 

Cannot place doc, docx nor rtf: InDesign (at least 15.0.1, 15.0.2, 14.0.3) crash or warns re filters

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any other sort of resolution? I am having the same issue right now. I'm working on Windows 10, trying to place a PSD file into my InDesign document. Using the latest version of CC for all programs. I've also saved the PSD as a PNG and JPEG with the same problem ensuing.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now the document won't open in PSD either... it's a PSD. It's now saying it's not a valid photoshop document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're not able to import it in most any format, my suspicion is either the file itself is corrupted or you have a problem with the filename. This often happens on the Windows platform, where files created/saved on the Mac platform can introduce characters not compatible with Windows  file conventions. This can also happen occasionally with files saved in Windows, but more commonly happens with files being passed from Mac to Windows systems.

Would you please share the filename with us? That way we can help identify/rule out file naming as an issue.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, trying to place an image which was already in the indd doc on another page 😕  However re-saving the image with a shorter file name worked so maybe it was a server thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue today with a PDF downloaded from the web. I opened the PDF in Acrobat, saved it on the desktop then dropped that version in which worked fine. I tried a couple of other PDFs and they worked so it must have been something in the file it didn't like 🤷‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing the same issue. I am trying to place a file in word format. Please advise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read my previous post here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally InDesign should recognize the file type. 

But I am aware on 2 issues:

1. If the extenson is missing/mistyped (also on the Mac) InDesign does in the latest version not recognize the file type. Solution: add the correct extension.
  2. Sometimes the image needs to be opened in Photoshop and saved again in Photoshop and InDesign will recognize it correctly. But don't do it with a PDF. Open the PDF in Acrobat Pro and save it with a new name. With an AI file, open it and save it again as AI or PDF/X-4 file in lllustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the file I'm trying to place in InDesign 2020 is a file I've place before with no problem. It's a vector eps and when I try to open it in either Photoshop or  Illustrator, I get error messages. I'm having this problem with other vector eps files so it's not isolated to one file. Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign also won't open other file formats of this file. Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.eps is an evil, resave all of them to .ai and re-place into the publication. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines