Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cell Range Not Showing - InDesign 2020

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm a long term user of InDesign, and since the change to 2020, when I'm importing excel files to InDesign, when I try to import information, from a sheet with a named cell range, it doesn't bring it up. 

Has there been some change? When I use an older version it works? Can this be fixed at all? I do a lot of work, importing price files into InDesign from Excel.

Thanks for your help, below is an image to show you what I mean, in the 'cell range' it should say 'Cent2020' not just the numbers.

Thank you! 
Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 9.24.39 am.pngyour 

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, are you running the last update of ID ? the 15.0.2 

After if you have the last version, just try to reset preferences :

Shut down ID and Hold the keys CMD+option+control+shift when you start ID, a pop up appear, clic ok ad try to improt your cell range and let us know if it's ok (or not)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am running 15.0.2.

I just did what you said, it's still not working 😞 

Any other suggestions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it out and it is still working as expected on 15.0.3. (This week's patch.)

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 4.35.01 PM.png

Let us know if resetting prefs works. Also, there are various levels of resets. See the complete list here: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution for this? I am running into the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. I have been importing named cell ranges from Excel for years, but with my latest InDesign build (15.1.1), this function no longer works. If I import from an .xlsx file, the named ranges are missing. If I import from an .xls file, the named ranges appear but will not import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue since updating to InDesign2020, 15.03. I can import the named ranges from an .xls file, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about your experience. This is really unusual. I'd request updating your InDesign to the latest version(v15.1.2) and see if it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone find a solution to this issue? I have updated my InDesign and I am still not seeing my named cell range

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running 16.0 and can confirm that this still is not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here....need to import the Defined Names but nothing shows up in the list. I thought it was me going mad but clearly the latest version is broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue, solved it by replacing all spaces with underscores in all sheet names. Then it worked like expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the 2021 version came out, it has worked as it had before for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was the solution for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working. Surely they can get their acts together aand fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still not working (16.1) and I don't think the Adobe person knows what we are talking about. Their example shows the standard choices, not custom cell ranges. This is a HUGE problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here . my excel Sheet contains 14 names ranges but on Indesign it show only 12 named ranges

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running into the same issue. I had defined all of the cell range names in my spreadsheet, but none of them would appear when I went to import into InDesign. One commenter mentioned changing the sheet name to remove any spaces. I did this and replaced all of the spaces with underscores. That seemed to fix the issue. Now all of my defined cell ranges are appearing. I hope this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue in 16.3.2 
I tried removing any spaces from the sheet name with no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had been having this same issue. I tried removing all spaces, underscores, and hyphens from worksheet name and range name. Seems to be working. At least for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running version 18.2.1. Having the same problem. I've done this dozens of times before although it's been about a year since I've had to perform this task. One one tab of my worksheet, the named cell range works just fine. It will not display any named cell ranges on any of my other worksheets. I tried changing the names of the cell ranges to get rid of spaces and characters. Did this just not ever get resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines