• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CEPHtmlEngine slows Computer (Mac) and solution.

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe and CC users,

I saw there are already other posts about the "famous" CEPHtmlEngine, I got a new (2 months old) iMac 27 Retina (with the highest config.) and I noticed that when i launch (for the 1st time) any of the Adobe CC programs (it can be InDesign or Photoshop or another) they very very slow. It seems that something is making the CPU working a lot. After a little time spent in the Mac Task Manager i found that CEPHtmlEngine copy itself two to three times and each copy "calls" the CPU at least 20/50 times. I found a momentary solution by manually closing all CEPHtmlEngine. By doing this all programs work fast and well as usual and there are no errors or problems. You have to close the CEPHtmlEngine and not the CEPHtmlEngine Helper: the helper is just the "son" and if you close it the engine will create another one. Last thing: the CEPHtmlEngine will not appear again until you restart the computer.

This worked on my computer so I just wrote this to give Adobe (one more) notification of the problem and to give all Mac Users a solution (it could work on Windows too but I cannot try it) that can be helpful until an upgrade will fix this.

P.S.: I got the CC software and all apps upgraded to latest version.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Hi days_of_speed,

Could you please try out the private build of Design Library (Shared Files - Acrobat.com), which has a potential fix for the CPU usage issue?

1. Move the old Design Library extension to somewhere else (move to your Desktop for example):

• Photoshop: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.app/Contents/Required/CEP/extensions/com.adobe.DesignLibraryPanel.html/
  • Illustrator: /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC 2015/CEP/extensions/com.adobe.DesignLibraries.angular/
  • In

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 120 Replies 120
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NE

I've just remove the damn ones by doing the following:

Finder > Applications > Photoshop

Click in show package contents

Search for CEPHtmlEngine

and you'll see these files:

CEPHtmlEngine

CEPHtmlEngine Helper

CEPHtmlEngine Helper EH

CEPHtmlEngine Helper NP

If you dare move them to trash !

All works fine now

By the way i don't use the CC app (cloud icon in the top menu bar) or extensions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any other way to get rid CEPhtmlEngine problem?

Does this (removing it from the Photoshop package) work with other CC applications like InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I haven't seen this mentioned in this forum.

A Google search showed almost all the references were to problems in Photoshop but not InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot oft the CEPhtmlEngine task after launching InDesign:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-16 um 12.36.54.png

It does constantly use above 100% CPU usage when InDesign is focused (it get's below 100% when it is minimized).

This has only begun for me recently… maybe since a week ago. Everytime I startk InDesign I have to manually shut down the CEPhtmlEngine via Activity Monitor.

I'm using CC2015.2 (InDesign 11.2.0.99) on OSX 10.11.3 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15", Late 2013), 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

EDIT:

The problem also occurs after opening other CC2015.2 applications:

Here a screenshot just after opening Illustrator CC 2015.2:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-16 um 13.29.10.png

Here after opening Photoshop CC2015.2:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-16 um 13.37.28.png

Interestingly the tasks also shows up (with just below 100% CPU usage) after opening AfterEffects CC  2015.2 but disappears after the new splash screen / opening dialogue is closed (doesn't help with the other applications like PS, AI or InDesign):

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-16 um 13.35.54.png

Could it be GUI related? It certainly never happened to me before the updated GUI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's running for me too. Just because there are various processes running (there are dozens!) doesn't mean that they cause problems. No problems here: Mac OS X 10.11.3. InDesign CC 2015.2. Runs like a dream on my MacBook Pro.

What makes you think that the process is the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Steve Werner

As you can see in my screenshots one of those processes always need extreme cpu usage (above 100%). You can hear the fans of the laptop going wild until I kill the process with the Activity Monitor. After killing it the fans go silent. Besides the fan noises it lowers the performance of my whole system and drains the battery. There is something going on there.

Also these processes doesn't seem to be necessary at all as I can kill them right after launching the applications and they won't restart themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

otterstyle‌ The process starts again automatically new, no matter how many I kill him ...

i think a few day, dort know the frist time

110.jpg

(scheint ein Problem insbesondere der deutschen Nutzer zu sein?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JensSeidel‌

You need to kill the task "CEPHtmlEngine" not the "Helper". When I shut down the CEPHtmlEngine the Helper shuts down with it. When i try to kill the "CEPHtmlEngine Helper" it always starts again within a second.

Also It could be a problem with the german version of CC…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

otterstyle‌  Thank you, thank you very much, so I get now at least my work done.

I opened a support ticket, I write in here if something turns up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem, Illustrator, InDesign, ...

Delete and reinstall does not work.

Also I have the complete Creative Cloud deleted multiple files looking for " orphaned " and filled with new CC, this brought no success .

The Tools : AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool.dmg and Creative Cloud Uninstaller.dmg not help .

and playing with the Erase and Install , now played 5 times already .

So, and now? Someone a proposed solution ?

and btw Adobe your tests actually your software before you the divorce them in the wild?

The Forums are full with exactly this unresolved problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JensSeidel

Do you know when the problem occurred to you the first time? I'm pretty sure I see this behavior since the last few days.

The only way at the moment seems to kill the CEPHtmlEngine right after launching the application and avoid restarting it. Annoying but certainly less of a hassle than reinstalling the applications multiple times without any effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, deleting the file for inDesign fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats not true, I am using Illustrator and have the same problem!!!

You can count it yourself, but thats alot of .......... instances of the same CEP HTML Engine running in the background of my machine (see for yourself, I posted the screenshot below). What I can see in Google and on many post here is that people are getting really upset because Adobe still hasnt addressed this problem. Its been around since February. The year has nearly passed.

I dont even want to get into the hours of time I spend trying to figure out why my system performance has dropped to the point where I have to wait 10 seconds for inputs to be processesed. Adobe is allready way far in my system than I would like with all that cloud mumbo jumbo. What really makes this one annoying, is that YOU CANNOT TERMINATE THE PROCESS BECAUSE THEY KEEP ON POPPING UP. WHAT USE IS A TASK MANAGER, IF ADOBE REFUSES TO LET US TERMINATE THEIR PROCESS ON OUR MACHINES!!!!!!!!! ITS LIKE A ....... DIGITAL DICTATORSHOP!

Seriously, instead of introducing a ton of new features which no sane person can keep up with, why not focus on making existing features more stable. I am spending way to much time recently posting on adobe forums to have stability issues fixed.

And instead of asking thousands of users to employ work arounds (like we have nothing else to do) why not FINALLY FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!

On top of that, I am still having my other issue with Adobe Cloud constantly syncing my files NON-STOP. I am really upset that with every new update my system is getting more and more unstable. And posting in these forums doesnt get anything achieved.

Its simply frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understandable. I fought the CC-ship for a long time until Adobe pretty much forced my hand to upgrade and it's been an ongoing battle ever since. Every time they release an update or upgrade you never know what problem is going to arise. If nothing happens it's a win. But in a lot of cases something quits working or there's a major strain on my computer.

I'm holding out on the 2017 update because it's a major overhaul. Once again, I'm sure it's going to have its problems. I use CC professional, not for making MEME. So I expect it to function that way. They still haven't addressed the issue where the Libraries window in my programs are legible. The background is white and the text is white. So guess what, you cannot read my saved libraries. I have to guess which on be I choose. There is no post/info on this problem so of course, fix.

Matt Kornegay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has crippled me on my Mac Pro. My whole machine acts up once this happens. It happens with Illustrator CC2017 and makes all applications have to be force quit once that error happens. My Mac wont shut down either, it has to be hard killed. I am now using CS6 to function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, you're in the InDesign forum.

Issues relative to Illustrator should be discussed in the Illustrator forum, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sorry, I was unaware it was just for InDesign issues. I thought Adobe would be the place that could help. Sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost never hear of that problem in InDesign based on the postings in the InDesign forum.

I think you'll get a better response by posting in the forum for the application in which you're having the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this problem only with After Effects (2015.2 -13.7.1), deleting the files as proposed by abascalufe stopped insane CPU usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks abascalufe​, something similar worked for me in After Effects.

/Applications/Adobe After Effects CC 2015/Adobe After Effects CC 2015

(Right-click > Show Package Contents)

/Contents/MacOS/CEPHtmlEngine

I just archived it and deleted the original. This restored AE CPU usage when idle to a sane <1%. This is a really nasty bug, on my MacBook Pro, AE was using pretty much max CPU when idle and instead of my normal 5-6 hour batter life, I was getting less than 1.5, basically making AE unusable when not plugged in to a power outlet (and even then it made it hot and loud and slowed the whole system).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has been mentioned above, you're in the InDesign forum.

Issues relative to After Effects should be discussed in the After Effects forum, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't matter if they are in the wrong forum. When you have hundreds of folks desperately looking for a solution to their machines melting down as the result of using industry-standard software that clearly has issues, the end user isn't going to care if they are in the slightly wrong-ish forum, and the issue is common to MANY apps that share the features of this engine. They are frantically looking for SOLUTIONS. Pointing that out seems pedantic and unnecessary. --> 2¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JensSeidel‌otterstyle‌NE-Design‌,

Did the CPU consumption issue happen immediately after you launch Adobe application, or after an extended period of use? Would you mind if I follow up with you to collect for information if possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JensSeidel‌otterstyle‌NE-Design‌,

Could you please show me the full command line parameter of the CEPHtmlEngine Helper taking 100+ CPU?

To do so, note down the PID (process ID) of the CEPHtmlEngine taking 100+ CPU in activity monitor, then open a terminal and type:

ps -ef|grep CEPHtmlEngine\ Helper|grep PID <-- replace PID with the actual PID

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines