• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CEPHtmlEngine slows Computer (Mac) and solution.

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe and CC users,

I saw there are already other posts about the "famous" CEPHtmlEngine, I got a new (2 months old) iMac 27 Retina (with the highest config.) and I noticed that when i launch (for the 1st time) any of the Adobe CC programs (it can be InDesign or Photoshop or another) they very very slow. It seems that something is making the CPU working a lot. After a little time spent in the Mac Task Manager i found that CEPHtmlEngine copy itself two to three times and each copy "calls" the CPU at least 20/50 times. I found a momentary solution by manually closing all CEPHtmlEngine. By doing this all programs work fast and well as usual and there are no errors or problems. You have to close the CEPHtmlEngine and not the CEPHtmlEngine Helper: the helper is just the "son" and if you close it the engine will create another one. Last thing: the CEPHtmlEngine will not appear again until you restart the computer.

This worked on my computer so I just wrote this to give Adobe (one more) notification of the problem and to give all Mac Users a solution (it could work on Windows too but I cannot try it) that can be helpful until an upgrade will fix this.

P.S.: I got the CC software and all apps upgraded to latest version.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Hi days_of_speed,

Could you please try out the private build of Design Library (Shared Files - Acrobat.com), which has a potential fix for the CPU usage issue?

1. Move the old Design Library extension to somewhere else (move to your Desktop for example):

• Photoshop: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.app/Contents/Required/CEP/extensions/com.adobe.DesignLibraryPanel.html/
  • Illustrator: /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC 2015/CEP/extensions/com.adobe.DesignLibraries.angular/
  • In

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 120 Replies 120
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated and it seems that Adobe fixed the CEPhtmlengine (in at least PS), but nothing on AI for the meantime. Problem is, I not cannot connect to the libraries. I'm getting a Fail to sign pop up. So again, Adobe has fixed one issue and created another. The hotfix originally supplied was better than what the multi-billion dollar Adobe could do. What do they do there anyways? Just sit back and count the money they're ripping off from people!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have the same problem but with Dreamwaver... the CEPhtmlengine is using all my cpu

Schermata 2016-03-25 alle 11.59.22.png

how can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very annoying to have my MBP sound like a jet plane because Adobe is using so much CPU--especially when I'm not even using the software! Now I don't open Adobe software if I'm working remotely and need decent battery life. And this isn't a new problem...it's happened before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2016 Apr 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Cristian for the link, now Dreamweaver is also working fine. Same procedure as Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a mid-2009 Macbook Pro and while other apps are working fine this CEPHtml Engine Helper is killing my CPU.

The fans are working too much and I really can't get any work done. It's incredible...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmamzqy9j05p5vs/Screenshot%202016-04-04%2021.28.48.png?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned above I followed the procedure (solution 2) at High CPU usage due to CEPHtmlEngine and it seems to have resolved the problem - at least for now (24 hours and no manic fan activity).

Oddly enough, even when my fans were going berserk, Activity Monitor only showed CEPHtml Engine as using 2-3% of processor but the fans still were in overdrive. Now the only thing that raises a sweat is when I open a very large folder in Bridge.

I haven't tried using any of my libraries yet so I don't know if that will be an issue or not but, until now, I've only dabbled in them so it's not a great concern to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here

Macbook Pro mid-2015 / Photoshop + Illustrator opened at the same time

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 14.17.40.png

Process using 90-110% CPU on idle after i copy pasted vector from AI to PS as smart object and Libraries window poped out.

Can I disable Libraries feature somehow? It's not worth my computer CPU life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE HELP!!!!! I just spent $2,700 on a brand new MacBook Pro and the fans are blowing up like CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!! I have tried EVERY solution in this thread. It worked for Photoshop but not for Premiere Pro. Yes, I put it in the right directory for Premiere Pro. Check it out:

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 1.06.13 PM.png

The worst part is that I don't even have that CEPHtmlEngine process show up in my activity monitor so I can't even kill it from there!!

I can't use Premiere AT ALL. The fans kick off IMMEDIATELY as I hit play. The computer heats up, the fans start to blow, and I feel like my brand new MBP is either gonna fly off the table or melt in my hands. I only bought this laptop so I could keep editing when I'm traveling BUT I CAN'T USE IT AT ALL!!!! I am beyond frustrated with this. I've lost two days now trying to fix this.

Mac OS X (10.11.4)

Premiere Pro CC 2015 (9.2.0)

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 1.09.04 PM.png

PLEASE!!!! SOMEBODY HELP THIS POOR EDITOR BEFORE I SUE ADOBE FOR IRREVERSIBLE MENTAL DAMAGES!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the InDesign forum.

You really need to post in the Premiere Pro forum if you need help with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use the one Adobe has provided. Their fix doesn't work...SHOCKER!!! Use the hot fix that DaysofThunder refers to. Problems is Libraries doesn't work regardless of what others have posted (at least for me) . I've update PS and now it will not properly sign the libraries so I cannot use them. Adobe is lame. I never had these problems with retail versions. CC just gives Adobe an ongoing excuse to work on bugs without actually ever fixing anything. CC is pretty much a disaster and I have not seen ONE thing that I have benefited from after taking the plunge. It's been a headache and I don't foresee a resolution in the future. Even if they were to fix this one issue (highly unlikely as we see by there incompetence) there will be something else to crop up from their ever changing development strategies.

Matt Kornegay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt, I couldn't agree with you more!! As someone else called it, CC is like a never-ending beta version. I've already accepted the fact that CC will never be bug-free enough to allow me to finish a project without wanting to shoot myself in the head. So I'm in the process of switching to AVID. I really couldn't care less about all the amazing features PP CC has. At the end of the day, if it doesn't work then it doesn't work. I am now on my THIRD brand new maxed out mac computer and ALL 3 have had different problems with premiere. It's obvious that this software is built by HIGHLY incompetent people who didn't even bother to test their software in the real world.

As far as the hotfix, I did use the file in from here. It did not work for me. It doesn't matter though. I'm not going to be needing it anymore. AVID is taking care of all my problems. Judging by all the comments posted in this online community, Abode (or at least PP) won't be around for much longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What really bothers me is if I have to use use third party software designed by different manufacturers then it really hinders my workflow. Have to save and export every file or whatever just so I can open in another program is ridiculous and time consuming.

Maybe years ago when I was first start out I could do something like this, but I have become heavily dependent on a number of Adobe products and they know most others have too. The few defectors that that leave the Adobe Community is so small they could care less. This is really where I wish a company would come in and drop a bombshell on Adobe with a whole new suite of products. It would make them think twice because people would leave in droves if there was some real competition, but unfortunately there is no one even close and they know it. They know it so arrogantly that they allow bugs to stay in their software. And instead of actually listening to consumers and addressing the issues on these forums with seriousness, they pass it up and instead launch some buggy new feature I could give a rip about.

Apple is the same with their products and if I could find a non-Windows competitor that had the stability of UNIX then I would tell Apple Sayonara!!

Avid, Sketch, Affinity, etc may work, but you have to understand each program differently. There is no crossover functionality (Adobe is supposed to be the masters and they still can't get it right) l, so the learning curve is high and even though you can make it work, introducing or working with incompatibility causes excessive strain on the brain. It goes against the way humans learn. We are creatures of habit.

Matt Kornegay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The libraries from the "fix" don't seem to be signed now nothing will start. Uninstall and reinstall just put it back to CPU hungry mode that won't accept the unsigned "fix"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. That's what happened with me. But I updated to the latest PS. I did not remove the patch, but I thought the update would had overwritten it. I have not checked to see if it did. But now my libraries are not signed in PS and I cannot access them. I've signed in and out of CC and nothing.

Matt Kornegay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2016 Jul 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been fixed yet? I haven't updated any of my apps since this, in fear of breaking the work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2016 Oct 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here we are, Oct 7th and since my 10.12 update, the CEPhtml crashes are back....

adobe....get on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2016 Oct 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is the advice to:

• stick with the versions of the apps we had when this bug was introduced (with work-arounds),
  • or update to latest versions and reapply work-arounds (or will work-arounds remain in place?)
  • or update to some specific version that are stable (if this is possible with CC)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has been pointed out, this is an issue across a range of Adobe software. Can I suggest that either this thread is moved or we stop talking about what forum this is. This line of discussion is not very helpful, and quite frankly adds insult to injury.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But the only staff who would see this posting would be InDesign engineers, and I don't think they have much of anything to do with it.

Since this problem only happens to a small subset of Adobe users (or we'd be swamped with postings), it's not at all clear where it would be moved to.

It's a rare event among InDesign users, that's all I'm saying.

And, because of this, I'm locking this thread which has been slowly disintegrating. It will be kept as read only.

In the future, post in the forum of the application you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines