Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change Artboard .AI files

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I want to know, if it is possible in Indesign to change the artboard of one linked file of Illustrator. There was already a post on this Community about it, but in that case I have problems in downloading the .jsx file. Can anybody help me?

Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could simply Opt/Alt double-click the placed AI artwork on the InDesign page, and it will open in Illustrator for a quick Artboard tool adjustment. Then save and close from Illustrator (or Quit) and you are right back in InDesign with your updated file. This is also known as Edit Original in the Links Panel and at the right click of an image.

Pretty quick, so I was wondering: why script it?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your answer. Maybe I didn't explain the issue in the best way. On Indesign I have linked an .AI file, that contains inside several differently illustrated artboards. Indesign let me visualize automatically only the first artboard. I would like to show also the other ones. The expansion of the image frame doesn't work, so I guess there should be an option to active each single artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When placing .AI file that contains several different artboards, each artboard needs to be placed separately to be viewed in Indesign.

You can do this in one go, just check on Show import options then place dialog select all or a range of artboards to be placed.

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 9.30.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 9.30.49 PM.png

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ap93,

where's that script code or script file you have problems with?

Was it PlaceAgain-PlaceOptionsShowing-SELECTION.jsx that I posted here:

Script for skipping to next page (of imported pdf/ai/ind)?
Correct answer by Laubender, Aug 12, 2020

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/script-for-skipping-to-next-page-of-imported-pdf-ai-ind/m-p/...

The code was once damaged by moving the thread to this forum by the end of 2019. I restored it and it should still work with InDesign 2021.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines