• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

change color of imported Ai graphics inside Indesign

Participant ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, when i import some vector graphics AI file inside indesign, how could i change its color inside indesign please?

I was searching all over the internet but without any solution yet...

Please help me.

Ofcourse88

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

That's because there isn't any way to edit an Illustrator file in InDesign. You need to edit it in Illustrator. If it's a linked graphic, you can use Edit Original to open it in Illustrator. Save the change and it will be updated in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because there isn't any way to edit an Illustrator file in InDesign. You need to edit it in Illustrator. If it's a linked graphic, you can use Edit Original to open it in Illustrator. Save the change and it will be updated in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you for your reply. I work with indesign long time and i found that it would be great some time to be able to tweak some changes inside indesign as this one. I know about images imported from photoshop as bitmap greyscale color space into indesign where i am able to change color as saturation sort of thing... This works but vector graphics aren't able to change color.

Ofcourse88

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vector files have much more complex formatting than a grid of pixels. I don't think you're likely to ever be able to do that in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a format you can save it in so you can change the colour in Indesign? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for vector files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean for Illustrator files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean for Illustrator files?

Illustrator files are vector files.

If the files are not too complex, you can copy-paste between Illustrator and InDesign then directly change the color of the shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on what you want to change. Technically, you cannot change the content of an imported image, whether Illustrator or Photoshop or something else, within InDesign. You can, however, selectively show and hide layers. One use for this is to keep all the colour versions of a logo (black only, white only, CMYK) in one Illustrator file with each version on its own layer. Access layer options when you place the file or by right clicking on the placed file and you can show or hide individual layers. This might serve your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is actually possible to use ink aliases in InDesign to change the colour (on output) of anything in the AI graphic that uses Pantone colours as well. See, e.g., https://creativepro.com/alias-one-color-swatch-to-another/

Sometimes this can be useful, especially for automated workflows.

If you're working manually on a file, though, probably the best is to Edit Original, as @Steve Werner mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if I want to change color or size I must edit the original?

I was guessing I just hadn't worked with it for too long, but it seems it's really limited on what you can do with it. If you can't change vector colors and neither resize vectors easily it seems, for some projetcs, its easier to just do it all on Illustrator, even though illustrator doesn't have all the facing pages printing possibilities. Or does it?

Indesign feels a bit of an oddball in the graphic design tem of Adobe CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy and paste worked for me. Thanks a lot @jmlevy!

Nevertheless the integration isn't seamless as it is with Photoshop or the rest of the suite. I've had problems with it back on CS3 (around 8 years ago) and them problems persist. Isn't it in it's basis a vector software like Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Isn't it in it's basis a vector software like Illustrator?

Yes, the two application’s features overlap, but their capabilities are not the same. You would run into problems trying to create complex vector drawings and illustrations with InDesign, and there would be problems if you tried to layout a complex magazine or book with Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines