• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change glyph of automatic hyphens

Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am writing a manuscript in InDesign using a particular font whose aesthetics I like.  However, the hyphens/dashes look particularly odd. I therefore wish to change the hyphen glyph of this font to the hyphen glyph of another font.

I can manually go through the document and change the glyph for the hyphens/dashes which I have intentionally inserted. But if I have automatic hyphenation turned on, sometimes the text breaks at the margin and hyphens appear. I have tried manually changing the glyph for these hyphens, but InDesign does not allow it. 

Is there any way to change the glyph of the automatic hyphen in InDesign? 

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Scripting , Sync and storage , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Yes – with considerable difficulty, though. It's not a "setting" in InDesign (for some reason many contemporary users assume just about everything is a "setting") and definitely not an easy fix.

Marc Autret describes the problems on his site: http://www.indiscripts.com/post/2017/05/customize-indesign-hyphens-with-indyfont. His smart solution uses the full version of IndyFont (disclaimer: developed by me and maintained & sold by Marc), so it's not something you can try out with the free demo ve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes – with considerable difficulty, though. It's not a "setting" in InDesign (for some reason many contemporary users assume just about everything is a "setting") and definitely not an easy fix.

Marc Autret describes the problems on his site: http://www.indiscripts.com/post/2017/05/customize-indesign-hyphens-with-indyfont. His smart solution uses the full version of IndyFont (disclaimer: developed by me and maintained & sold by Marc), so it's not something you can try out with the free demo version.*

To elaborate: you most certainly can change 'normal' (manually entered) hyphens with a GREP style (apply another font to only hyphens), but as Marc explains, this will not target discretionary hyphens, and you'd still get the original font hyphen.

* Something I realised only after re-reading the article: Marc creates an entire new font for this to make it work. It's possible to make a clone of a font with IndyFont but do note that it's not designed to do that: all existing features (such as kerning and any OpenType enhancements) will not carry over. To mimic Marc's trick on an existing font, you need a full font editor. It goes without saying, though, that editing an existing font is not something that may be allowed by its EULA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines