• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change Keyboard shortcut for Selection Tool

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to change my keyboard shortcut for toggling between working inside a text block and the main Selection tool (the top/black arrow), something I do dozens of time and hour during a work session. The default is the Escape key, but I don't prefer it (it's a long reach and requires lifing your palm off the deck, typically). Pagemaker years ago used Cmd-Space Bar for this purpose, and I find it a very efficient shortcut. SO...I changed my Spotlight shortcut (default for that was Cmd-Space) to free it up for InDesign, then entered it in a Test Keyboard Shortcut set. (I also deleted the default selection of Escape key for that same function). See attached result.

My new keyboard shortcut does not work. It simply does nothing. How can I fix this?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

It might be able to be scripted - some great scripters around here - you could ask/make a request.

For new features - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have changed it to cmd escape and it work.

Create new set from right, name it and based on set: defaut.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 11.43.23 PM.png

then chose the set you have created,  product area: tools

Choose selection tool, 

new shortcut, context: text, then assign and OK.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 11.48.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Manal. Tried this as you laid out, but it still does not work. I can get YOUR key combination (Cmd-Esc) to work, but not Cmd-Space.

BUT...I'm noticing that the keyboard shortcut is just a one-directional (if you press Escape again after getting the selection tool, it does not return you to the Type tool. What would REALLY add to productivity is a common shortcut toggle between the Selection tool and the Type tool (that, as I mentioned, was a staple of Pagemaker back in the day). 

I notice there are a FEW Toggle settings under the Tools category. Is there a way to create/add a Toggle? If not, what's the best method of requesting a new feature? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It might be able to be scripted - some great scripters around here - you could ask/make a request.

For new features - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines