• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change object order for fixed layout export

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone seen a script or plugin to change the order of the objects in layers for fixed layout export? Thought this was possible before, but can't recall if script or plugin. It exports in order of what you created and need it to change as I move objects in the layers around in order. Seems like in 2020 this should be pretty much just move and export. Not sure why it doesn't allow this adjustment, thoughts?

Thanks.

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about stacking order of objects on a spread?

Would you like to change that? Solution: Use the Layers Panel.

( But I guess this is not what you are after… )

Or would you like to change the creation order of objects?
And how should that new order be? Following the stacking order of objects on a spread?

Are there animations in your layout?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I am talking about, moved the layers, moved the objects, however on export to fixed layout epub it doesn't change. They are still the same order as before even though it has changed in the document. Could do it manually but in 2020 you'd expect this to work pretty straightforward. Maybe a script or plug in exists for it to work right or a setting I'm missing.

No animations, just need the images and text to be in the order I set in the layers area. Simple enough task, but either epub export or indesign won't allow it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you change the stacking order of objects in your layout, the export as Fixed Layout EPUB should reflect it.

In every version of InDesign that supports FXL EPUB.

What you could try to get rid of a "small corruption" of your document:

Export your InDesign document to IDML.

Open the IDML file as InDesign document, save with a new name and do your export to FXL EPUB again.

Hope, that helps,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That said:

Interactive content like Buttons or Multistate Objects are always stacked on top of other non-interactive content in an exported FXL EPUB. Maybe you experience that?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, just text and images, background image, with other images layered on top and text over those. The sequence needs to be right so that screen readers for accessibility will read the text and alt tages in the correct order. It's really quite ridiculous that this is even a conversation, but honestly, Adobe has faltered on InDesign in the past few years, pushing out updates but not really fixing or imrpoving on epub. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Accessibility with Fixed Layout EPUB?

I'm surprised that this is working at all. Are you sure that this ever worked?

What tools are you using to guarantee accessibility and how do you test this?

If this ever worked with a previous version of InDesign my suggestion would be:
Stay with that version as long as you can.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm past the ability to stay with the one that worked, once adobe changed the rules on that, lost the ability, such a nice gesture of them. 

I think it was with a script or plugin the more I think about it.  Client is testing on their end and the reading feature in their app reads the text and alt tags, but all out of order because of the jumbled mess that adobe creates. I know early stages of accessible fxl epub is starting, had some conversations with others looking into it.

Still though, in 2020 I can't be the only one wondering why adobe can't make this work or that it isn't a concern of others? But I have grown more and more unimpressed with how indesign is handling things considering how many little issues and items still aren't working right. Guess it's manual time, which shouldn't really be a thing anymore with how more efficient processes should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines