• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change Text in an Image

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I'm an idiot. I don't know In-Design at all. I paid someone to produce a book cover and there is an error on the spine of the book. One word needs to be changed but I believe it is an image, not just text. The person I paid has disappeared. I imported the pdf file I was given into In-Design which I just purchased but I cannot figure out how to grab the image and change the text. I did figure out how to change text on the back cover, but that is obviously not an image. Please help. I will pay someone to teach me how to do this. In the image I have attached, I need to change where it says FIRST  to say SECOND. Thanks in advance. Yours truly, The Idiot.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the text is an image, there nothing you can do directly in InDesign: you need to change the text in the image file. Can you share the InDesign file, to be sure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can share the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use this icon to share it

Capture d’écran 2021-04-21 à 20.46.45.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I do not know how to use that icon to upload the book cover

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF you shared is actually just an image saved with a .pdf file extension, so that makes it even harder. It's not a true PDF with text converted to outlines. Unfortunately, the image that they saved as a PDF is low quality as well.

If this is all you have to work with then you could do it in Photoshop by duplicating the word 'SECOND' from the cover and carefully sizing it to replace 'FIRST' on the spine.

If they had actually given you a PDF with the text outlined as vectors then the change would have been pretty straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I'll ponder my options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well,. InDesign isn't for editing existing PDF files nor images. For the first you can use Adobe Acrobat for the latter Photoshop. But, without seeting the actual file, it's not possible to say, which will do best in you case. Can you share the book so we can have a look at it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this InDesign file there is a link (the PDF file you sent) but the text in this PDF has been outlined, so the text cannnot be modified. I know that you did not create the file but the question is why it has be done this way…

If you cannot get the original InDesign file (before the text has beeb outlined)  to be able to modify it, the solution would be to add the text in the InDesign file if you know the font (it looks like Herculanum) that is used, trying to match the size of the text.

Edit: as @flaming1 and @Laubender wrote, it is an image, not outlined text. I realized that just after having shutting down my computer last night. But the worst is that image has been placed in an InDesign file, then a PDF has been exported from InDesign (without any bleed nor crop marks)

Capture d’écran 2021-04-22 à 12.16.45.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jfbonlineweb,

the contents of your PDF is one single image.

In low resolution: 144 PPI ( Pixel Per Inch ), Adobe RGB (1998)

It's useless for print production.

The whole cover must be done again from scratch.

What you need: The fonts, the image of the portrait and the image on the title.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines