Highlighted

Change View from a Spread to Single Pages

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for me to view spreads as single pages without actually changing the layout?  Thanks!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Willi Adelberger | Most Valuable Participant

NOOOOOOO!

It will change formats and layout, but it is easy:

2-WireO-Bleed.png

3-WireO-Bleed.png

5-WireO-Bleed.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Change View from a Spread to Single Pages

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for me to view spreads as single pages without actually changing the layout?  Thanks!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Willi Adelberger | Most Valuable Participant

NOOOOOOO!

2-WireO-Bleed.png

3-WireO-Bleed.png

5-WireO-Bleed.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 31, 2012 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. See InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Breaking Pages Apart to Bleed Off a Spine and scroll through the comments to find a script by Harbs to automate the task.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2012 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not easily in InDesign. It would be very quick to export as PDF and DON'T turn on Spreads. View in Reader or Acrobat.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2012 0
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too would go with Steve's answer here. Harbs' script is good but I have had instances where the artwork does strange things as a result.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2012 0
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw the word "view" as being the key word in poster's question. You can view very quickly by making a PDF file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2012 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Splitting spreads carries all the same risks as moving pages as far as artwork that crosses the spine. Those objects are on either one page or the other in a spread. Have you seen something other than would be explained by an object staying with a page and disappeating from another?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2012 0
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter

Had a diary job with art supplied by the client as indesign files which needed bleed in the spines. used Harbs' script which i'd used dozens of times before but strange things happened with the text that I just could not explain such as reflow.

Yes his script does what it "says on the jar", but because of a one-off strange instance I tend to err on the side of caution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2012 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I've not needed to split spreads often, and I'm not sure I've ever used the script. I bow to your real worl experience, but I wonder if the problem was really the script, or maybe a case of text reflow from changing versions (not necessarily by you) that the script somehow triggered.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2012 0
Advocate ,
Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think to have "view spreads as single pages" would be very useful as a view option, for when you just want to scroll through a document and make edits. When the spread view is too wide you have to scroll from side to side as well as down, or keep zooming in and out. And if you want to get a sense of how it's working visuallly then story editor won't do. And obviously we don't want to change the layout settings in order to do this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2012 8
Dec 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dv8kiwi – you can also use two different layout windows of the same document side by side with different zoom values.

To move synchronously from page to page spread to spread in both layout windows, you could use a set of scripts and apply them to keyboard shortcuts.

See the following blog post (in German) by Gerald Singelmann at:

http://www.indesign-faq.de/en/node/53

and here a link for downloading the scripts:

http://www.indesign-faq.de/files/2009/01/split.zip

The scripts are from 2009, but should work in InDesign CS5, CS5.5 and CS6.

Uwe

Message was edited by: Laubender

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2012 0
Dec 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could use a set of scripts by Martin Fischer at www.hilfdirselbst.ch where you can move from page to page:

http://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=463219#463219

Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2012 0
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Document Setup, uncheck "facing pages" and OK. You'll see the pages as a single pages in your pages PANEL Now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2013 40
Advocate ,
Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is changing the layout, so it is not the answer to the question. What is required is to keep the facing pages layout, but to be able to view and work on the document as a vertical column of single pages. This would be particularly useful for landscape layouts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2013 2
Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PageZoom plugin makes moving to and fro among many pages easier.

http://jetsetcom.net/extension-panels-ebooks/view_document/2-adobe-indesign-cs6-pagezoom-extension-p...

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2013 0
Advocate ,
Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it's for CS6, not CC?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2013 0
New Here ,
May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jenny-ct.  That was exactly what I needed

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2014 1
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jenny-ct Another thanks!

dv8kiwi Yes, if I'm wanting a booklet, that would be changing the layout. I just want pages to flow like a normal PDF.

Chris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2014 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving from facing to non-facing pages will be a disaster for any document that actually uses the master pages because the right side of the master is no longer used.

But it sounds to me like your problem has more to do with how you are exporting to PDF than with how the file is set up. When you install InDesign the default PDF export is for PDF (Interactive) and by default that exports spreads. You can change the export type to PDF (Print) if that's more appropriate, as it would be for a document intended for print, or you can switch interactive PDF export to do single pages instead of spreads, and there is no need to change the document setup at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2014 1
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mark this as the answer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 02, 2015 0
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ding ding ding! All this talk about scripts and what not, this was the answer I needed. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Document Set-up. Uncheck Facing pages?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2014 4
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOOOOOOO!

2-WireO-Bleed.png

3-WireO-Bleed.png

5-WireO-Bleed.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 02, 2015 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are now my hero, Willi!  Thank you for this answer! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for actually answering the question! Simple an quick.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Thusla answered this question above and that it is simply a window view issue. I have run into myself when creating simple pdf docs that do not need spread format and can be visually aggravating to see them left / right in spread. First you need to make sure the master pages are not in spread format and then as thusla mentioned go to FILE > DOCUMENT SETUP... > UNCHECK FACING PAGES

that should do the trick!!

Capture01.JPGCapture02.JPGCapture03.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2015 2
Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

The OP never answered ( or commented the suggestions ) in this rather old thread.
It dates back to 2012.

And, as Peter Spier already pointed out in answer #17, when master pages are used in a double sided document, it would be a desaster to switch from Facing Pages to None-Facing Pages.

Another warning:

Text alignment could change, if the alignment is defined as "Away from Spine" or "Towards the Spine".
Some positioning with anchored objects can change as well, because you can use the spine as reference point.

Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2015 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I pointed out above. If a document is double sided print, it must be a document with facing pages.

Many styles – object and paragraph – have the spine as reference and break options reference to even and odd page numbers. Some styles change their properties when a document is switched from facing pages to non facing pages. It can be very dangerous to make these changes. You should not do so and please don't recommend wrong advises, even if correct are given before.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2015 0