Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changed language in InDesign and everything changed - how to reset workspace

Participant ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed my language in InDesign to English by using this method:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-to-change-language-in-indesign-i-would-like-to-change-it...

However, this changed everything. Now I can't even click into "book mode" which used to show at the upper right. Could someone help me make things look normal again?

simon5CD0_0-1606740021810.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Then reinstall first. Then RENAME the existing folders so that files inside the folders are kept 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to choose your Workspace and Short cuts again. Just gonto Workspaces in the right upper cornervand choose you desired one, then choose Edit - Short Cuts and assign the desired set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I can of course click "new workspace" but the problem is that everything is gone so I'm quite handicapped here.

The drop down menu at the top right does no longer show a "book" option and tools etc are gone.

Maybe by changing the language I also deleted the preset workspaces that comes with InDesign.

Seems like quite a bad software design to make it this much of a hassle to simply change the language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then reinstall first. Then RENAME the existing folders so that files inside the folders are kept 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled now with settings changed and without any changes again to the folder. And everything seems to be up and running now. Thanks for your inputs, Frans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Seems like quite a bad software design to make it this much of a hassle to simply change the language.

Yes, you are right here. InDesign software makers still not add this feature. 

For example - Quark, CorelDraw, Affinity Publisher do this on the fly by many-many years. For InDesign creators this is SO BIG problem! [angry devil smile]

Don't change language by any tricks. You're need to reinstall your InDesign to have back all the things.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this is not an unique post on uservoice, - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/37332040-ch... - add your voice here and add all who read this and need it!

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines