Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing SDK Version

Engaged ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I noticed that there are newer SDKs for both InDesign 2020 and 2021, than the XDKs I am currently building against. Should I use the newer SDKs ? Or should I stay with the ones that I am using now (and seem to work for me) ?

Very best regards,

Olivier

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Generally, the SDK change is needed(have to be done necessarily) when a major version update is out, like a plugin compiled with SDK for version 15 will not load on version 16. For minor version updates, the SDK update is largely optional if everything that you use works just fine. Now for your case of using a minor later update SDK on a previous minor version of the application, I have not tried it but I am very hopeful that loading should not be an issue.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not facing any issue then you don't need to change necessarily. Whenever you have some spare time you can do the switch, it should not take you more than a few minutes to switch the SDK if the project is properly setup.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Manan.

Some of my users resist updates for a few months at a time.

So they may be using 15.0.3 for awhile. Will the latest plugin_sdk_15.1.0.025 be OK ?

Where can I tell what is the minimum version of InDesign to use for a given SDK ?

Very best regards,

Olivier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Generally, the SDK change is needed(have to be done necessarily) when a major version update is out, like a plugin compiled with SDK for version 15 will not load on version 16. For minor version updates, the SDK update is largely optional if everything that you use works just fine. Now for your case of using a minor later update SDK on a previous minor version of the application, I have not tried it but I am very hopeful that loading should not be an issue.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines