• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing Text Direction to (Right to Left) in InDesign

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have changed paragraph options to Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer, and it writes in Arabic, but I have no options to change text direction to be from right to left. What should I do in this case?

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Thanks a lot Manan.

Actually, I tried the options in the link you posted, but it doesn't work.

I tried the options in the following link:
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/access-install-hebrew-arabic-indesign-illustrator-CC.html

Then, I re-installed InDesign from the Creative Cloud app, and it worked properly.
I hope this would be helpful for others who have the same issue with their InDesign version.

Thanks so much for your help and your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

I used to have a number of posts on Adobe forums in Arabic where I explained all you need to do for RTL control.  The whole Arabic forum was removed along with its content… unfortunately, I could have shared the links with you.

Having said that, by default, when you choose Adobe World Ready in the Paragraph Panel, InDesign will switch to default" character direction that you can select from the Character Panel fly-out menu as illustrated below…

Character-Direction.jpg

If you're mixing Arabic/English languages together

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For that option you will need to install the middle eastern version of InDesign. See the following link

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/arabic-hebrew.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/access-install-hebrew-arabic-indesign-illustrator-CC.html

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Manan.

Actually, I tried the options in the link you posted, but it doesn't work.

I tried the options in the following link:

Then, I re-installed InDesign from the Creative Cloud app, and it worked properly.
I hope this would be helpful for others who have the same issue with their InDesign version.

Thanks so much for your help and your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that it worked, i shared the same link that you have pasted on your response. In a nutshell these options are available in the MENA version of InDesign and that needs to be installed as per the instructions in the link

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to have a number of posts on Adobe forums in Arabic where I explained all you need to do for RTL control.  The whole Arabic forum was removed along with its content… unfortunately, I could have shared the links with you.

Having said that, by default, when you choose Adobe World Ready in the Paragraph Panel, InDesign will switch to default" character direction that you can select from the Character Panel fly-out menu as illustrated below…

Character-Direction.jpg

If you're mixing Arabic/English languages together, I would strongly recommend keeping the direction on "Default" as InDesign is smart enough to switch right and left when needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the correct answer for those who don't do RTL often. I did not want to install a whole new product just for one line of hebrew. Thank you Zaid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wonderful, thank you, Zaid!

Went from this

Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 11.01.07 AM.png

to this, in seconds!

Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 11.01.37 AM.png

All the best to you.

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines