• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the gutter size in a facing pages document

Engaged ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have improper gutter settings in my .indb I need to know how to MODIFY the gutter for both left and right pages at once. If I do this in the margin settings it moves the gutter to the right which is correct on the the right spread but the wrong on the left.

??

MD

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Hi Mathew:

Some people use "gutter" to describe the space between 2 columns, other use it to describe the space between two pages. InDesign uses the first definition in margins and columns so I'm going to guess that is what your question is about.

Assuming I guessed correctly, are you trying to define the gutter width or gutter position?

When Uwe asked the same question, you responded with column values. A screen shot would be very helpful to help us figure out what you are asking.

~Barb

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 1.12.39 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MD,

what are your desired gutter values and gutter positions for facing pages?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

left side

0.25  all around except inside 0.625

same for the right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mathew:

Some people use "gutter" to describe the space between 2 columns, other use it to describe the space between two pages. InDesign uses the first definition in margins and columns so I'm going to guess that is what your question is about.

Assuming I guessed correctly, are you trying to define the gutter width or gutter position?

When Uwe asked the same question, you responded with column values. A screen shot would be very helpful to help us figure out what you are asking.

~Barb

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 1.12.39 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry I see now, i need to adjust the INSIDE margin on both facing pages, is there a way to do this in an existing document?

I'm sure there is. ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can adjust Margins and Columns on your Master Pages (in the Layout Menu).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Matthew, increasing the inside margin will increase the left margin on a right page and the right margin on the left page, at the same time. Be sure to enable the Adjust Layout checkbox so that the existing text frames will shift with the update.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't working for me.  Increasing the "inside"margin changes the left margin on both the left-hand page and the right-hand page. Here's how my spread looks after setting all margins to 24 pts except the "inside" margin is set at 36 pts.:

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 3.14.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 3.12.44 PM.png

Is there some other setting I'm missing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With help from Adobe support, I discovered that the document was originally created without facing pages, then was changed to "facing pages".   To get the "inside margins" setting to apply, the "inside margins" had to be applied to new parent pages, and then those parent pages were applied to the facing pages in the document.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make it happen, I had to create a new "Parent" that was two facing pages, then apply the "inside margins" settings to that Parent.  Then apply the Parent to the actual pages in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Equatorio,

no need to add a new parent pages spread to get one with two pages.

Just change the one you have, that with the single page.

Instead 1 assign 2 pages in the parent pages options.

See my screenshot below from my German InDesign 2022 on Windows 10.

Number of Pages ( "Seitenanzahl" ) can be changed.

Define-TwoPages-ParentPageSpread.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ma'am and sir! I'm confused why my margins and columns window does look the same with the screenshot above, my goal is to create a gutter of 0.2 but increasing number of column is not an option since my file does have a facing pages for printing a book soon.
I tried also to adjust my master page "inside" margin but it seems that all page margins are adjusted on the left only.
Tried also to do it on the adjust layout button but its still the same result.

Van5CD3_1-1619407646816.png

Van5CD3_0-1619407500458.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correction on previous reply, my margins and columns window does NOT look the same with the screenshot above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Van5CD3,

some screenshots of all pages selected in the Pages panel of a particular spread together with the Margins and Columns dialog will help. Also one of your document setup regarding margins and if you are working in a facing-pages document or not. Also state the exact version of your InDesign and the operating system.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines