• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing url for QR Code made in indesign

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!! I am trying to edit an existing qr code generated in indesign. When I click the edit qr code and replace the url it generates a NEW qr code. Why would you have the option to change?

I want to switch websites for qr codes already on printed materials. All the instructions tell you the same thing to change, but it doesn't change it just generates a new qr code.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The URL is hardcoded in the QR Code. There's no way to change where it's pointing.

Think about it and you'll see why this isn't possible without creating a new QR code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I think you are assuming that the QR code goes to a directory of sites, and you can change the directory. Well, no. It goes to the URL you type in. The barcode actually contains the letters you type, http and everything. You CAN type in the URL of a directory site, called a "link shortener". A lot of people do that, but your printed materials will always and forever have the URL you chose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the QR code in your InDesign document does not retroactively change it on all printed matter so far. It's not magic! All there is in that QR code is the URL you originally typed in; changing the URL means you are changing the QR code -- but, again, only in the InDesign document itself.

Contact the service provider to which the QR code points to. At the web server -- the receiving end of the URL --, this can be redirected to another web page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Thanks for this suggestion! By "service provider" are you talking about like Safari / Chrome that gets the phone online (if that's how it works)? Or say the url leads to a Vimeo webpage; would the service provider be Vimeo? Trying to see who to reach out to.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QR codes are much simpler than they seem. In the QR code there's just a bunch of text - that's all there can ever be. The text is often a URL (web address), so let's talk about that.

If you have a web page you want to share, you can make a QR code with the URL. Someone scans, they go to your page. That's it, job done. It's all included in InDesign.  

But what about fancy services with QR code? They make a URL just for you, and give you the QR code. So THEY control where it goes. They can shut it down too. It can be temporary. It can take your customers off to someone else's advert or site. So, if you have someone else make your QR codes, look what you are getting. I wouldn't bother with any of them if I have InDesign to use, I keep control; but I need to have a web page to send people to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines