• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chapter Heading

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and I ask for help again, helpful people.

Using the latest InDesign on a Mac, which is not a MAC.

Using Styled Text, including for chapter and sub-headings.

I am typesetting a book, as so many self-publishing authors do these days.

I have used A Master to place the Book Title on the verso page heading, and for the recto heading, I entered ‘Section’, to make it change each time for each new chapter.

I entered Chapter names, as I moved through the text, in Layout -> Numbering and Section options -> Section Marker. Everything worked fine, chapter titles appeared where they should, all was rosy.

Until I found some overset text on page 5. I fixed this, never mind how just at present, I'll cut to the chase. But now all my chapter names change ONE PAGE BEFORE they should.

Changing Layout -> Numbering and Section options -> Section Marker makes no difference to the wrong names.

So my questions: What ‘marker’ is Indesign looking for in the text to indicate a new chapter?

Is there one missing 'marker' that has thrown out the whole sequence?

How do I add/insert it, and where?

Will I have to start again and reset the whole 230 pages and 500+ illustrations in new spreads ?

With thanks,

Stephen Gard

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Uwe,

The solution was simple.

Go the Pages panel, right-click on each grey triangle above a spread or page, select 'Delete Section.'

I then went through the pages and using Layout -> Numbering and Section Options correctly commenced and named the Chapters i.e. sections.

My mistake was that I had duplicated one or two Section starts, which threw everything out of alignment.

With thanks again for your help and courtesy,

Stephen Gard

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean "on a Mac which is not a Mac"?

You don't sound as if you're using Master Pages properly when you state you Place a book title on it -- you use Master pages for repeating things like folios.

I suggest you get some basic lessons in using InDesign before you proceed further -- one way are the LinkedIn Learning online video tutorials -- you can get a 30-day free trial. 

Return to this friendly forum for particular questions of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

the marker you are looking for is a "Section".

You can add section markers or remove section markers with the Pages panel. Start section markers are applied to pages there. So in effect a section is a property of the document that has a start page and could have a name as well ( together with some other things ).

More details here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/numbering-pages-chapters-sections.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe,

Thank you for your kind and respectful response.

I shall check out the link you include, and return here if I require further advice and assistance.

Stephen Gard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

to exactly see what's going wrong one would need to look into your actual document.

Can you show a screenshot of the Pages panel with the sections showing?

Also how you defined your text variables that should reflect your chapter names?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Uwe,

The solution was simple.

Go the Pages panel, right-click on each grey triangle above a spread or page, select 'Delete Section.'

I then went through the pages and using Layout -> Numbering and Section Options correctly commenced and named the Chapters i.e. sections.

My mistake was that I had duplicated one or two Section starts, which threw everything out of alignment.

With thanks again for your help and courtesy,

Stephen Gard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines