Highlighted

character ERROR after generating a PDF

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community,

I have recurrent issues with Indesign. When I open my file (even if I previously assemblated them ) : I discover with horror a whole character error.

I can't recover and work on document...

If someone understand...

I am asking myself if it is not happening when I generate a PDF...

Sorry for my broken english.

What I got (nightmare). 

Capture d’écran 2020-08-20 à 08.50.07.png

My PDF exported before that ↑

Capture d’écran 2020-08-20 à 08.49.53.png

And no official error...

Capture d’écran 2020-08-20 à 08.53.06.png

Thanks ! 

Dear Kyrazoe,

I did not loose my file but I loose the ability to use it :).

It sounds to be a font conflict !

Thanks !

Topics

Bug, How to, Import and export, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

character ERROR after generating a PDF

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community,

I have recurrent issues with Indesign. When I open my file (even if I previously assemblated them ) : I discover with horror a whole character error.

I can't recover and work on document...

If someone understand...

I am asking myself if it is not happening when I generate a PDF...

Sorry for my broken english.

What I got (nightmare). 

Capture d’écran 2020-08-20 à 08.50.07.png

My PDF exported before that ↑

Capture d’écran 2020-08-20 à 08.49.53.png

And no official error...

Capture d’écran 2020-08-20 à 08.53.06.png

Thanks ! 

Dear Kyrazoe,

Thanks !

Topics

Bug, How to, Import and export, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

How do you create the PDF – which version and how are you viewing it (e.g. Acrobat Reader)?

Are you certain the fonts are properly installed on your system?

Does this issue happen on just one document or all?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Derek, 

Thanks for your time ans sorry for the late reply.

Yes, I forgot to mention the essentials : I have the last version of InDesign 2020 15.1.1

I am under macOS Catalina 10.15.5.

I do not have problem to read the PDF under Acrobate or Aperçu. 

The policies troubles happened on the indd file after generating the PDF well encoded (at least I guess). 

The policies used is Avenir in differents variations (already in the policies computer) and another one which is Lulo clean (buyed but used so many times last years without troubles).

The issue happened on the whole document and often even when I assemblate the file with fonts. 

— I did not instal Avenir it was already in the system but I will check.

It sounds that the file forget the link to the book policies and suggest a universal glyph system... But I might be wrong.

— This issue happened on this document but happened quite often lately. 

And to be totally transparent today the file is OK... I do not know why and I do not understand.

I allow myself to reach the community because those last months when I open a file on which I worked on, saddly it happens a lot despite my saving and I do not hide how affraid I am to see hours of work loosen.

I will explore the book policies path !

Thanks again !

Thanks again !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

d'après ce que je vois en regardant le PDF, la police utilisée est Avenir. La capture d'écran du fichier InDesign montre qu'elle est manquante. Comme le dit Derek, es-tu certaine que la police est bien activée ? Quand tu ouvres le fichier InDesign, il n'y a aucun message d'erreur à propos de polices manquantes ? Que vois-tu quand tu vas dans le menu Texte > Trouver/remplacer la police ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pinkish color you're seeing in the open InDesign file indicates that the fonts needed for the job are not open. The most likely answer to this is that the correct fonts are not loaded properly. If you are using a Font utility such as FontExplorer or Suitcase chack and see that the fonts you need are turned on. Otherwise make sure that they are loaded in the correct place on your computer (you didn't indicate whether you're on a Mac or PC). It is possible that another version of the font you need has been activated (another document may have turned it on via autoactivation which is a FontExplorer option). In that case the original font may have been considered a conflict and the utility would have turned it off. In that case auto activation should have reversed the process when you opened this document but, if the other document was still open that probably would not happen. At any rate make sure the correct fonts are open.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Bill,

Thanks for your precise reply.

Yes I did not gave the whole informations regarding my using background which is InDesign 2020 15.1.1

under macOS Catalina 10.15.5.

I am afraid, so far I never used any software to manage my fonts and I am currently using the book policies. To be totally honnest I did not know since your post the existence of this tool. 

I was focused on an Indd issue but it seems well to be a font conflict.

I understand your explanations but as my english is poor and as I did not resolved it yet I can't answer clearly !

I might well have two versions of Avenir. I transfered everything from my old Imac (2010) when I bought my macbook (2018) — which was very convenient — it might have generated a conflict between 2 occurences of the Avenir font.

I will explore this path.

To be continued...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can try recovery tools to recover your PDF. Many tools can do that now, you can search online to find one. I have used one called Bitwar data recovery.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kyrazoe

Did you really read the question? It is absolutely not about how to recover a PDF…

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Kyrazoe,

Thanks !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines