• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chinese Fonts within Indesign

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to use a chinese font (SimSun) within Indesign. Can I use this font with creative cloud or do I need to purchase a separate license for the font?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

No problem to use that font with Indesign, as it came with your computer and it is embeddable. But...there is a much better font available that you may even use on the web if you like. That font is available for free from Google fonts and Adobe.

The font is great as it contains major Asian character sets (Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean and English) and it is available in 7 weights (SimSun is only available in one weight).

With Google, the font is called NoTo, Adobe calls

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

To use Chinese fonts in InDesign, please refer to the following help article:

Adobe InDesign Tips: Japanese/CJK Functionality + English UI

Let us know if this helps or you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem to use that font with Indesign, as it came with your computer and it is embeddable. But...there is a much better font available that you may even use on the web if you like. That font is available for free from Google fonts and Adobe.

The font is great as it contains major Asian character sets (Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean and English) and it is available in 7 weights (SimSun is only available in one weight).

With Google, the font is called NoTo, Adobe calls it Source Han. It's available with and without serifs.

The Typekit Blog | Introducing Source Han Sans: An open source Pan-CJK typeface

Google Noto Fonts

The Google link shows all flavours of the Noto font family. The Asian CJK fonts come in different sets. Example:

Noto Sans CJK SC for Simplifyed Chinese etc

This is a quote from Google:

Language-specific OpenType/CFF (OTF)

Each font sets one language as the default. Note that each language-specific font does support all four languages and includes the complete set of glyphs. However, you need an application program that can invoke an OpenType locl GSUB feature (e.g. Adobe InDesign) to access language-specific variants other than the default language.

See here for more information: Noto CJK – Google Noto Fonts and/or google for "Noto" and/or "Source Han".

Source Han synchronizes automatically via Typekit, NoTo does not account for your Typekit fonts installed. Choose one or the other, except for the name, they are the same.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to use Google font Noto and when I use it some of the Chinese characters turn into squares which indicate a problem. When styling in SimSun thay are ok, but only one weight is a problem for the design. I might have found a solution but adding a stroke outline in my style sheets to make it look bolder.
I'd rather choose a font with mutiple weights if possible. Any ideas?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I did not see this earlier:

The NoTo-Font sets from Google (and the Adobe equivalent) have expressively been developped to avoid those "squares". And I have never seen those squares with these sets.

I've seen squares, however, when using Chinese texts and a Japanese font set, as in a Japanese font set only a subset of Chinese characters is included. 

I'm doing typesetting with Chinese character sets since very early Indesign versions. Formerly I used the same trick for getting bold (outlining), but that needs to be applied carefully, not to make the characters illisible. 

Just to add:

https://www.google.com/get/noto/help/faq/  -- there is a link if you suspect a bug in a font.

What is the program and version you're using? What is your OS and version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Abambo.

I am using InDesign and I have the latest OS.
I managed to solve the problem by researching more fonts and I found one called PingFang SC which has been fine and also come in alt weights.

All done and dusted.
All the best, Hils

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in Illustartor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @AnyaKROSCH,

Illustrator supports the same fonts. I've done Illustrator graphics with Noto-fonts. It works fine.

If you have however specific problems, you have better to ask this in the Illustrator forum as indicated by @Laubender.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines