• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choice to open file with different versions

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to be able to open indd files with different InDesign versions, but the "open with" dialogue in Windows only gives me the newest version (2021 in my case). Even when I select "look for another app" and go to the Indesign 2020 folder and start InDesign from there, it still starts the 2021 version.

Also in the Windows set default apps, only InDesign 2021 is shown. For Illustrator I actually get a choice of all installed versions, I would like the same for In

I found an Earlier Thread that suggests reinstalling InDesign so that the preferred version is last, but that doesn't help me at all, as I have to use sometimes 2020 and sometimes 2021 and just simply want the choice of both in the Explorer dialogue.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the newer version of InDesign started when you try starting the older one?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested the behaviour an can confirm it. My work around would be starting Indesign 2020 and using the file open or drag&drop for opening older files.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for confirming this. Yes, it's the newer version that is opened.

The workaround that you suggest is pretty much what I do too, so it doesn't stop me. Still, it means more clicking and often I end up starting the 2021 version inadvertently and unnecessarily.

So it would be cool if InDesign could just behave like any other application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines