Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Clean-up' .indd?

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I've been using InDesign for some time now, and here's a strange thing I've noticed. I've been using 'embed images' feature for almost all of my documents now. I didn't have a very big document yet, so, that works for me. I understand that embedding images increases the file size by a huge extent, and to some extent, I understand that. The problem is, when I make a copy of the file, open it, delete all the images from it and save it, the file size doesn't decrease. It's even worse when I embed more images to it, it adds up to that base file size. So, are the deleted images still there or something? How can I reduce file sizes?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020
You need to use file>save as to "clean" it up. That will clear everything out.

And embedding images in a large file can and often will lead to a corrupt document that will be unrecoverable. Stop doing that immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny how brain works. I just posted it here and it struck me that I can try saving the file as .indt and open it and save again. It did work. It's probably not a perfect solution and maybe, someone would like to educate me why InDesign does't delete unused data from the file right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use file>save as to "clean" it up. That will clear everything out.

And embedding images in a large file can and often will lead to a corrupt document that will be unrecoverable. Stop doing that immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, a simple trick. Thanks for the info.

I had an idea that embedding images is not recommended, but, unrecoverable documents, I had not idea about. I'll take care in future. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/unembed_images.html

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines