Highlighted

clipping path not working for me

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am designing a business card in the "printing & proofing" setting. I have placed a Shutterstock file into an object frame; it is the letter L with a black background.  When I select the object box and try to clip the path around the letter (bcos I want the background gone).... nothing happens.  I've watched all the tutorials and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Please help.

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

clipping path not working for me

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am designing a business card in the "printing & proofing" setting. I have placed a Shutterstock file into an object frame; it is the letter L with a black background.  When I select the object box and try to clip the path around the letter (bcos I want the background gone).... nothing happens.  I've watched all the tutorials and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Please help.

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the pen tool to draw a path around the "L", then select the original placed "L", copy it, select the new path, Paste into, then delete the original placed "L".

Personally, I would edit the Shutterstock file outside of InDesign and then place it. If it is an image (raster) open it in Photoshop, carefully draw a path around the "L", save the path as a clipping path, or use the path as a selection, invert the selection, cut (to remove the background), save as a .psd and place it into InDesign. If the Shutterstock file is vector, open it in Illustrator, select the background color, change the fill to None, save as an .ai or PDF and place it into InDesign.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0