• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color in specific shapes of compound path?

Contributor ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been exploring compound paths for the first time in InDesign. Is there a way to fill in or alter some of the smaller boxes in the overall image below? I've seen other designs accomplishing this, but can't get it happening myself. 

indesign boxes.PNG

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

You can select one of the shape with the direct selection tool, as Jeffrey explained, then cut it and paste in place. This new object will not be part of the compond path so you will be able to modify it (background, transpaency, etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am assuming from your screen shot, there is a larger outer shape, with 12 inner shapes creating the compound path. To alter the inner shapes, you need to use the Direct Selection Tool, to either select individual rectangles, or individual corners. You will not be able to "fill" an inner shape, unless you remove it from the compound.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Yes, this compound shape consists of the 12 inner shapes. I'd like to explore something similar to the image below where I can play with color and transparency of different squares. Is that possible with InDesign? When I "release" the path of the shape above all the squares go blank except for one containing part of the picture.

shapes2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select one of the shape with the direct selection tool, as Jeffrey explained, then cut it and paste in place. This new object will not be part of the compond path so you will be able to modify it (background, transpaency, etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got it, thanks. Seems so obvious once you explain it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines