Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Picker issue

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am currently struggeling with the color picker in Indesign.

When I draw two rectangles and fill one with Swatch A and than use the color picker available in Swatch options to dublicate Swatch A I get a different color. (In reality I wanted to get the color value of a very specific arear in a gradient)

The attached pdf shows the result. On the left, both rectangles are colored in the same color (one in A the other in a copy of A). Than I use the color picker on swatch A from within the copy and get a pretty significant difference.

Any idea what I am messing up here?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that the RGB color picker within the Swatch Options dialog does exactly as you say when using it to duplicate a color it is sampling. It appears to me that it is may actually be giving a CMYK representation of the RGB color onscreen as the new color appears significantly duller than the original. However, when I tried sampling the color with the eyedropper in the Tool Panel I found that the color duplication was accurate. Try that if you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Indeed the eyedropper from the side panel works.

When I try to pick the color from a pdf outside with the eyedroper from the swatch option panel the color is correct, too.  I place the same image in the document and when I then use the swatch eyedropper on the imported image the color is once again duller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The eyedropper in the main Color Picker and the Swatch Options seems to pick monitor RGB values—its not using the InDesign document’s assigned RGB profile. It does let you sample from the OS UI and other apps, which might explain why it is using the monitor RGB profile rather than the document RGB profile.

If I assign my system moitor profile as the document’s RGB profile I get a match, but if I assign a wide gamut RGB space like ProPhoto RGB, it’s not close at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help and the explanation. Now it sound much more like a feature than bug.
Is this somewhere in the documentation and I simply couldn't find?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines