Highlighted

Colour profile B&W

Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of colour settings / profile should I be using in InDesign for books which are largely text and black and white diagrams, but may also contain greyscale photos. No colour usage whatsoever, however. These would be for print in europe. No particularly special paper.

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Colour profile B&W

Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of colour settings / profile should I be using in InDesign for books which are largely text and black and white diagrams, but may also contain greyscale photos. No colour usage whatsoever, however. These would be for print in europe. No particularly special paper.

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, will get stuck into these. Have just worked through some of the thread you linked which starts "InDesign does not have a grayscale color space" which answers half my question already, I'm looking for something which doesn't exist and thinking in the wrong way. Will carry on reading.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How will the PDF be printed?

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, litho printing. All the book internals are black and white, some with greyscale images - they won't be using colour. One PDF I sent to them they said they converted to B&W but I'm thinking I should be sending them a PDF that they don't need to tinker with. I'd rather get it right this end. Sorry, so many different threads of slightly different needs on the forum I spent ages reading. I thought I would have to set indesign profile to greyscale or something but all I see in there look like colour profiles. Nothing mentions greyscale or B&W. And the two options confuse me, CMYK and RGB, both colour. So I think I need CMYK but how do I set a greyscale output, or doesn't that matter as the output just contains variations of black/grey?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
rob day LATEST
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I think I need CMYK but how do I set a greyscale output, or doesn't that matter as the output just contains variations of black/grey?

The color management for grayscale happens in Photoshop, which lets you Assign a Gray profile to a grayscale image. The Gray profile assignment affects the preview in Photoshop, and you can also use Convert to Profile to convert an RGB image into the destination Gray profile. In the links I posted there are instructions on how to make a Black Ink profile for litho destinations, so first find out what CMYK profile your printer wants you to use, and then make a Black Ink profile from their CMYK profile.

Alternatively, for all Black/Grayscale documents there is the option to place black and white RGB images, and make the conversion to the Black Ink profile on a PDF/X-4 export. Here the RGB image has a Black & White adjustment layer added in Photoshop, and the Export Destination is the Gray Black Ink Profile for the InDesign document’s assigned CMYK profile ISO Coated V2:

Screen Shot 8.png

Screen Shot 10.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0