Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Column formatting

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

I've been given a long list of names (1000+) from a word doc.  I setup my document to have two columns and I'm hitting shift D while clicking on the corner of the text box to populate the names.  However, it is coming in like this (Names cascading down one column and continuing on the 2nd column):  

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 11.01.55 AM.png

The client is asking for it to be populated like this ( Name 1 on the first column, Name 2 on the second, etc.  I phsyically typed this in for illustration purposes) :  Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 11.02.29 AM.png

TOPICS
How to , InCopy workflow , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Make the leading high enough so only one line can fit in each frame, or use Keep Options to make each paragraph start in a new text frame.

Another option would be to use just one text frame and use GREP to convert every other return to a tab.

Search for: (.+)\r(.+)\r

Replace with: $1\t$2\r

This searches for any text followed by a return followed by any text followed by a return. It replaces it with the first range of text then a tab then the second range of text then a return.

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 1.07.50 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of columns, on your master page, create multiple text frames that are threaded.

text-thread.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey, I think we are close!  Now I need to figure out how to do a frame break after each name.  This word document has over 1000 names.  

Is there a way for the Word document to contain a special character that can tell InDesign to convert it into a frame break?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could set up a paragraph style like this (it is in French but you will easily see the equivalent in English)

Capture d’écran 2020-06-05 à 09.18.28.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make the leading high enough so only one line can fit in each frame, or use Keep Options to make each paragraph start in a new text frame.

Another option would be to use just one text frame and use GREP to convert every other return to a tab.

Search for: (.+)\r(.+)\r

Replace with: $1\t$2\r

This searches for any text followed by a return followed by any text followed by a return. It replaces it with the first range of text then a tab then the second range of text then a return.

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 1.07.50 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i have tried with keep options, but it makes another text box when i press return, i want the next line in the same page and same text frame, cause i have lots and lots of arabic verses with me with this formating (1st verse on the right and 2nd verse in the same line on the left) to be done. can somebody assist me how to do that. Iam bit close, to it but dont want new text frames for each line. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines