• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

column width in tables gets squished in epub

Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon epub export, the columns from some of my Indesign tables get squished, hyphenating some of the category heds. Is there a way to set the columns to maintain a decent width so that the heds don't hyphenate, whether it be in ID or an epub editor?

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , How to , Import and export , Print , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Sometimes, with a reflowable ePub, it's best to make a JPG of the table and use that (a graphic) instead.

Actually now that I've viewed your screen shots, I think it would be better if you didn't use tables for this text but you redesigned it as a single column.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Long, wide, or complex tables and flowable EPUBs usually don't work well together. However, if you really want to use the tables, I would make a PNG graphic (not JPEG) and add copy the content in alt text area.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, with a reflowable ePub, it's best to make a JPG of the table and use that (a graphic) instead.

Actually now that I've viewed your screen shots, I think it would be better if you didn't use tables for this text but you redesigned it as a single column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how would that table be read out loud with Accessibility software Derek? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are CSS tricks you can use to format a table to become responsive but it depends on the table. Do some googling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Derek--this can be designed in a single column with the Do/Don't on top of one another in the text flow.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long, wide, or complex tables and flowable EPUBs usually don't work well together. However, if you really want to use the tables, I would make a PNG graphic (not JPEG) and add copy the content in alt text area.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, coming along a while later: the short answer is that there is no way to make a table full-width?

I have a master timeline table that is repeated in 1-3 line lengths at the head of the chapters. The main table is full width, just fine; absolutely nothing in ID or CSS setup will make the tables more than half-width in the inserts, no matter how much text is in the columns.

Short of the (kludge) of making 50+ PNG graphics of the table lines, I'm stuck with half-width tables in the chapters?

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a way to make define the exact width of tables and columns when exporting to ePub but it involves adding custom CSS to the export. Here's how:

Tables:

1. Select the table

2. Open the Table Styles window (Window-Styles-Table styles)

3. Click the plus to create a new table style

4. Give the table style a name (for example MyTable) and click OK

Now create a new CSS file in your favorite text-editor. Create a CSS entry for the table and set the options. For example:

table.MyTable {
	width: 100%;
	border-style:none;
	border-width:0px;
}

Save the CSS and include it in the HTML/CSS section when exporting to ePUB. 

Sizing columns is a similar process:

1. Create a column style in InDesign

2. Assign to all the cells in a column

3. Add a td.<YourColumnStyleName> entry to the CSS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 1 in columns should be: Create a cell style

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your cell styles don't work, it can help to add "table-layout:fixed" to your table CSS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arjen, you're the first answer I've found about trying custom CSS to force table behavior for ePub output. I have table rows that are filling whole pages in my three-column tables when exported as ePub. I'm trying to force fixed heights in my rows. I know my custom CSS is trying to take affect because I'm adding a "background-color: yellow;"during some tests to it to ensure that the ePub reader is seeing it and the tables have yellow backgrounds, but no height changes. But any attempt to make my row heights fixed isn't taking. I'm trying "height: 18px;", "max-height: 50px;" and other items.

All my table cells are style with one of four cell styles: 
white-fill-no-border
grey-fill-no-border
black-fill-black-border
white-fill-black-border

Here's my CSS addition:

td.white-fill-no-border, 
td.grey-fill-no-border,
td.black-fill-black-border,
td.white-fill-black-border {
    height: 18px;
}

And here are shots of my ID layout and the ePub output. If I can't get tables to reproduce right, I'll have to resort to JPG images on an alternate ID file for ePub output but I'd like to ask your advice on making the table rows contract to normal heights. This is the only thing preventing me from completing this project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with all other EPUB behavior, especially when trying to override default management of more complex features like tables, the outcome is entirely dependent on the reader. One may honor height commands, the next may insist on using hard coded rules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, so basically, we're at the mercy of the reader. Thanks. My client is thinking to just go the Kindle PDF way and guarantee the tables will look right. So this is a good lesson in "what can/cannot happen".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly that. EPUB is simply not the universal e-book format it's held to be. It can be made to work a specific way on almost any reader, but not necessarily on any second reader, not from the same document. 

Kindle has its quirks and limitations as well, but is at least consistent for 99% of users... the two-edged sword of a closed ecosystem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great, well thank you for your timely responses, James. I really appreciate it. It helps me with future projects of this nature so I can advise a client to recommend PDF only if they have extensive tables. But I learned a heckuva lot on getting an ePub set up well otherwise. InDesign has really matured with these capabilities since the first time I looked into doing an ePub for a client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines