Highlighted

column width in tables gets squished in epub

Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon epub export, the columns from some of my Indesign tables get squished, hyphenating some of the category heds. Is there a way to set the columns to maintain a decent width so that the heds don't hyphenate, whether it be in ID or an epub editor?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Derek Cross | Adobe Community Professional

Sometimes, with a reflowable ePub, it's best to make a JPG of the table and use that (a graphic) instead.

Actually now that I've viewed your screen shots, I think it would be better if you didn't use tables for this text but you redesigned it as a single column.

TOPICS
Bug, EPUB, How to, Import and export, Print, Scripting, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

column width in tables gets squished in epub

Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon epub export, the columns from some of my Indesign tables get squished, hyphenating some of the category heds. Is there a way to set the columns to maintain a decent width so that the heds don't hyphenate, whether it be in ID or an epub editor?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Derek Cross | Adobe Community Professional

Sometimes, with a reflowable ePub, it's best to make a JPG of the table and use that (a graphic) instead.

Actually now that I've viewed your screen shots, I think it would be better if you didn't use tables for this text but you redesigned it as a single column.

TOPICS
Bug, EPUB, How to, Import and export, Print, Scripting, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020 1
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how would that table be read out loud with Accessibility software Derek? 😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are CSS tricks you can use to format a table to become responsive but it depends on the table. Do some googling.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020 0
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Derek--this can be designed in a single column with the Do/Don't on top of one another in the text flow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020 1
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long, wide, or complex tables and flowable EPUBs usually don't work well together. However, if you really want to use the tables, I would make a PNG graphic (not JPEG) and add copy the content in alt text area.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2020 0