• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

columns

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm struggling to add columns to my page, as when I click on the paragraph formatting toolbar, the option does not seem to be available.

Anyone know where i might be going wrong/ have any advice?

TOPICS
How to , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to split a text frame into columns, you first have to go to the Span Columns dialog box. If you don't have enough space to see all your paragraph/character commands across the Control Panel, go to the three lines at the right of the panel, click on them to open the sandwich/context menu and select the Span Columns... menu command. From there, you can change the Paragraph Layout: edit box from Single Column to Split Column and then set your options to subdivide the text frame into the columns you'd like for your document.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's not what you're trying to do, you may be wanting to set tab columns for a simple tabular table. To do that you choose Type > Tabs and set tabs in the Tabs panel. See the User Guide for an explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Columns are a property of a text frame not a paragraph. Select a text frame and choose Object>Text Frame Options:

Screen Shot 12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Au contraire ...

1.jpg

Jus' sayin'

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can split the paragraph text inside of a column (sub-columns), but that doesn’t change the text frame’s column count. This frame has 3 columns:

Screen Shot 14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could say, however, that it does change the count of columns set inside the text frame.

I set separate linked text frames from multi-column master pages myself, instead of multi-column text frames, due to unfortunate previous experiences with irregular text wraps from both InDesign and the dreaded QuarkXPress.But based on the question the original poster was asking, I inferred the poster was asking a specific, distinct workflow. So I did my best to accommodate him/her.

So we're going po-ta-to, poh-tah-to, to-ma-to, toh-mah-to. So from here, what you say let's call the whole thing off?

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines