• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combining Letter Spread into 11 x 17 Tabloid within InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a massive 2500 page docmuent that is constructed using tiered Master Pages, 3000+ excel links, and all kinds of interactivity like buttons, hyperlinks, html code, etc. My problem is that it had to be constructed in facing letter sized spreads to facilitate printing, and I also need to convert it to 11" x 17" tabloid within InDesign in order to be able to output it correctly for digital kiosk use. I need this adjustment to happen within InDesign, not at or after export. I also need all of the interactive functionality to transfer over (so no placing indd files links...) If it turns out to be a one time laborious page by page conversion process, then I will also need all of the Master Page settings / overrides to stay in place as well so that the file retains its workflow.

For some reason InDesign has never simplified combining or spliting spreads as new document sizes within the software even though it causes advanced users massive issues... (I guess they assume people can simply address this at print export or make display adjustments post export, but that is not always the case as many users are now focused on using it as a design tool for digital formats as well.)

If anyone has any ideas then please throw them my way. Thanks!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export , Print , Publish online , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Maybe look into Liquid Layout and/or Alternate Layout. If neither works you'll have to hire a script writer to do a script that changes page size and/or resizes all page items.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe look into Liquid Layout and/or Alternate Layout. If neither works you'll have to hire a script writer to do a script that changes page size and/or resizes all page items.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I don't think that either alternative layout or liquid layout can merge pages. I also need to keep my master page assignments / overrides and document navigation in place. I had a script that merged spreads to tabloid, but all master page links are overridden in the process and it doesn't seem to be able to handle the size. It ran for 5 hours against my 2500 page doc with no sign of progress... The more research I do, the more I think that I am going to have to recreate the entire thing in Tabloid using copy and paste starting with the tiered master pages. I will reach out to a few custom script writers to see if this is possible with a reasonable workflow. Thanks for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I also need to convert it to 11" x 17" tabloid within InDesign in order to be able to output it correctly for digital kiosk use.

What is the output or export format the kiosk requires?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  • I am using iN5 to export to html5 which I turn into a progressive web app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines