• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Common keyboard shortcuts don't work

Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been much of an InDesign user so I hope someone can give me some basic tips on working with text.

Wondering why-

when I create a text box, the entire text is in a pink box. (not pink outline but solid pink)

Many common keystrokes aren't working like the backspace key does nothing, selecting text and hitting delete doesn't do anything, cntl+C does not copy selected tex, cntrl+x does not cut, cntrl+v does not paste.

Simple common text formatting tools don't work Not even trying to get to the next line hitting Enter??

What am I missing?

Thank You

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of that sounds like typical indesign behaviour. Was a pink fill the current swatch colour at the bottom of your indesign tools panel when you made the box? You can click the little icon above the swatches to reset to the default fill stroke. Do you know with Indesign you need to select the box before you can do anything else? Check your object styles, your layers panel (the layer may be locked), make a fresh layer and a fresh text box. Perhaps you are auto locking objects somehow, it's really hard to know from this.

I'd suggest doing the indesign tutorials https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/adding-text-overview.html they're super helpful for learning the program. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pink box you're referring to sounds like what you'll see with text when the font that has been previously specified is not actually open on your computer. See what happens when you switch the text to another font that you are sure is open. If the pink goes away then the problem is definately an unopen font.

PLEASE NOTE: I did not mean to make this part of a nested side-thread. In order for this reply to not be nested I've posted it separately later in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We'll be happy to help. Would you be able to share some more details like:

1. Version of OS and InDesign.

2. Is this happening with just 1 file or all of the files?

3. When did this start happening? Were there any changes made to the computer recently?

All this information will help us understand the issue better.

Also, I'd recommend you to reset the preferences for InDesign using the steps below:

For Windows 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Locations : 
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe  
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe. 
  •  Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from CC. 

For MAC  

• Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC 

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.

Let us know if it helps.

Looking forward to your response. 

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for the replies. As it turns out, it seems that somehow the old document I was working off of somehow got corrupted, (I guess).

It's a construction change order I've used over the years with no issues. I just canned that doc and re-opened the template and everything worked fine. When I go to add text it's still in a pink box, which I'm not sure what that is about, but it's all working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pink box you're referring to sounds like what you'll see with text when the font that has been previously specified is not actually open on your computer. See what happens when you switch the text to another font that you are sure is open. If the pink goes away then the problem is definately an unopen font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes Bill, that seems to be the case. The original font was missing and when I changed it, the pink box went away.

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines