• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Complex index in InDesign Question

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a huge document (1000 pages) that needs an index.  It's several sections so I made an InDesign file for each section and added to a book format with page numbers.  All the files were submitted though word documents.  I need help making a unique index at the very end of the booklet.

How I received it in word:

Date(tab)     Project Number(tab)     Project Name (first name last name). Coordinator, Location

I need to make an index in the following format:

Last Name (tab)     First Name (initial if applies) (tab)     Page Number (tab)     Project Name

From what I can see, nothing is innately referenced or labeled.  It's just plain word documents.   Is there some way to automate this as easy as possible inside InDesign or with any scripts available?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My initial thoughts are to create the Index pulling in all the relevant information. Then run a GREP Find/Change on the Index to rearrange everything into your preferred format.

Edit > Find/Change > GREP

Could you post some example text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sensitive information so I can't share it exactly, but it's precisely how I put the example.

How I received it in word:

Date(tab)     Project Number(tab)     Project Name (first name last name). Coordinator, Location

I need to make an index in the following format:

Last Name (tab)     First Name (initial if applies) (tab)     Page Number (tab)     Project Name

I don't know how to rearrange the data to get it in the right order and capture all the names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't need to see the actual data but could you post some dummy text? If we go down the GREP path any suggestions could be highly dependent upon the data itself. For example, how is the date written?

- Monday, 4 March

- 04/03/2019

- 03/04/2019

- 04 March '19

- etc…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Um Ok,

How I received it:

12/15/17         39972         Sally's Project,  Sally J. Newsome,  Los Angeles, CA

What I need to to do:

Newsome         Sally        J.          36 (page number)         39972

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines