• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Continuous (multi-page) tables added to InDesign article panel are not presented as part of the read

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon, the title says it all. If you have a long table that spans across several pages and add it to an article in the article panel, it does not show up as part of the reading flow in the PDF. Instead, it behaves just like an object that is not in the article panel, or marked as an artefact. (With no grey box around it and no reading order number label).

Any advice greatly appreciated. My Indesign version is 15.0.1x64

Kind regards

Kasra

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

I did tests in both InDesign 15.0.1 (2020) and 14.0.3 (2019), and in both versions I created a multi-page table with headers and footers. In both versions I made tests using the Articles panel, and without using the Articles panel.

They all came out fine.

This screen capture is from 15.0.1 using the Articles panel.

Long table spans multiple pages.Long table spans multiple pages.

It definitely is not artifacted and has the complete set of table tags for each table element (TH, TD, TR, etc.).

Are you able to put your INDD

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using the Article panel? What kind of output are you creating?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the message. I need to create accessible PDFs, and as part of that –in addition to tagging all content- I add all the content into article panel and also control the reading order of elements using layers. This way I don’t need to spend much time post-processing in acrobat for accessibility.

Kind regards,

Kasra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple accessibility experts who visit the forum. Hopefully, they will see your post and give you advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve!

Kind regards,

Kasra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you add items to the Articles panel, you must also check the option Use for Reading Order in Tagged PDF. It's in the Options menu on the Articles panel.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice. However, unfortunately that is not the case. That option is checked and the rest of the object in the article panel are included in the PDF reading flow, except multi-page (continuous) tables.

Kind regards,

Kasra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did tests in both InDesign 15.0.1 (2020) and 14.0.3 (2019), and in both versions I created a multi-page table with headers and footers. In both versions I made tests using the Articles panel, and without using the Articles panel.

They all came out fine.

This screen capture is from 15.0.1 using the Articles panel.

Long table spans multiple pages.Long table spans multiple pages.

It definitely is not artifacted and has the complete set of table tags for each table element (TH, TD, TR, etc.).

Are you able to put your INDD file into a dropbox or other repository so we can examine it?  We're "forensic" specialiists for accessible InDesign + PDFs and might be able to spot what's causing the missing tags problem. Don't need the graphics or fonts, just the INDD.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, many thanks for the kind offer, but my organisation IT policy prevents me to use any cloud based storage for sharing files outside organisation. (and Adobe Forum doesn't let me attach files).

But thank you very much ayway.

Kind regards,

Kasra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines