• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

convert footnotes to endnotes - missing!

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read/watched videos that instruct to convert footnotes to endnotes you select Type, 'convert footnote to endnote'.

Or, right click and select 'convert selected footnote to endnote'. 

I have CC and am up to date, so I don't know why this option/dialog box is missing entirely from my menu. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Hi,

Derek could be right. Depending on your operating system's version you still could be on e.g. InDesign CC 2018.1.

InDesign CC 2019 is not available for e.g. OS X 10.11.6 and maybe you missed the warning from CC Desktop App that a new version is out but you are not able to run it with your outdated operating system.

Details here:

InDesign system requirements

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe that it is hidden. Go to Window > Workspace > Choose Extended (or some other would also be good), maybe you have to reset the workspace, then you will find the command in the type menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You state your version of InDesign CC is up-to-date – which exact version do you have, the feature wasn't introduced until InDesign CC2019?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Derek could be right. Depending on your operating system's version you still could be on e.g. InDesign CC 2018.1.

InDesign CC 2019 is not available for e.g. OS X 10.11.6 and maybe you missed the warning from CC Desktop App that a new version is out but you are not able to run it with your outdated operating system.

Details here:

InDesign system requirements

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this must be the case. I am behind in updating my operating system, and it's caught up with me!

Thanks everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue here... Updating your system worked for you? Can you see now the menu item "convert footnotes and endnotes"? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning.

No result for the conversion footnote to endnote
Simply the "convert to" menu does not give any response.
Indesign 18.0
Catalina 10.15.7

with

Indesign 17.1
Catalina 10.15.7

the menu for converting footnote to endnote appears, indeed.
After using it (the screens says it was ok) no new page or nothing in the load cursor.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CamiloU ,

so you can see the menu to convert footnotes to endnotes?

I'd perhaps update to InDesign version 18.1 and try again.

If this does not help please provide a simple sample document where you see the issue.

Could be only one page with a single footnote.

FWIW: Just tested the function with my German InDesign 2023 version 18.1 on Windows 10.

Works like expected.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Uwe,
yes, you were absolutely right.

The upgrade solved the problem.
Thanks.

C O R R E C T  A N S W E R

I would like to expand my situation: I have a document with several non-threaded text frames with footnotes beginning with the same number.  I can have up to 3 texts on one single page where the footnotes always start with 1, for example. And dozens of pages.

Due to design problems we can't thread these galleys so that the numbering of the footnotes could be continuous.

P. Kahrel’s solution to make static the endnote numbers  is very demanding for the quantity of galleys, that using that superb script of converting to static.

We would like to know if there is a way to take each block of text and simply tell it: start at 1, or 5, or 20.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines