• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy and paste multiple grouped objects into text frame inline?

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I have been able to figure out how to copy and paste one grouped object (text and images) into a new text frame, and have it inline within the text frame.  I can paste multiple grouped objects into the same text frame as long as I do them one at a time.  Is there any way to paste multiple grouped objects into one text frame?  If I do copy multiple grouped objects, all the paste options are grayed out if I'm trying to paste into a text frame.  What I'm trying to do is have all these grouped objects in a text frame, so that I can easily re-order them and have the other objects adjust position accordingly.  Then I can spread that text frame out over multiple pages.

My problem is I have hundreds of grouped objects I need to paste into one giant text frame.  Any ideas?  This is coming from a data merge.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

I did find a solution to this... I can merge directly into a text frame, and all of the entries will populate within the same text frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When pasting an anchored object into a text frame you must do it one anchored object at a time, unless you are pasting selected text, which includes anchored objects. What you want to do in impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did find a solution to this... I can merge directly into a text frame, and all of the entries will populate within the same text frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you go into more detail on the solution you found? how did you merge the group of elements into the box inline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what Data Merge is supposed to do. Do you need something more advanced?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I just don't know what data merge is or where to find it but ill do some research and give it a try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries--everything takes time. 

There is a bunch of videos on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=indesign+data+merge

LinkedIn Learning (formally Lynda.com) has a number of videos too:

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/search?keywords=indesign%20data%20merge

You can sign up for one-month free trial here--just remember to cancel before one month is up:

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/subscription/products?destRedirectURL=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Elinkedin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the links. It looks like this is not the tool I was looking for to do what I want to do. 

Currently I am trying to take groups of images and text boxes that are grouped and stack them on top of one another within a text box that spans multiple pages so that if I need to remove or add a section from the middle I won't have to readjust all the subsequent sections. 

Not sure if that made any sense but that is where I am. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the delay.

Just to clarify a few things...

When you say "span" do you mean a page-to-page text flow or a group that covers multiple pages? (I learned "span" as an image or text that crosses the verso and recto pages.)

When you remove a grouped element, do you want the ones below to reflow into position under the ones above? For example, I delete grouped element 20 and want element 21 (and those below it) to shuffle up one postion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines