• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy Editor Beta

Engaged ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried the new Copy Editor Beta. Seemed to work great, it abstracted text from the main InDesign document so that you could edit quickly, nice appearance compared with the old Story Editor. On the review popup that appeared I gave it a two-thumbs up review.

But then…

When I went back to the main InDesign screen to continue working on the document, the two sections of text that the Copy Editor Beta had abstracted were insisible. Gone. Right in the middle of sentences.

And when I tried to edit the document to see if the text reappeared, InDesign locked up. I found I couldn't edit the document any more. I ended up having to create a new document and copy all the text and graphics into it, except for that missing text that I had just edited.

But here's the imortant point if this happens to you; look at the picture below:

InDesign-Copy-Editor-Beta.jpg

I found that if I put the text cursor where the missing text was, I could bring up the Copy Editor and copy the text out of it and paste into my new document.

And every cloud, even a big one like this that took hours out of my day, has a silver lining. I changed my top level headings from H1 to H1-new-page, which as you suspect starts each new section on a new page. And then I used the BreakTextThreadVersion1.0.jsx script to break the text into separate stories right at each of the H1-new-page paragraph style instances. https://github.com/Id-Extras/Break-Text-Thread 

And after this, my editing performance in the standard WYSIWYG InDesign view is great and I don't feel the need to use the Copy Editor Beta until it gets fixed. In case anyone – Adobe Copy Editor Beta team or otherwise – wants to look at my corrupted file, it's attached.

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted the above about a year ago. Anyone else using the Copy Editor (beta) with any experience they would like to share? I'm hoping that maybe with the new version 17.0.1 of InDesign that the Copy Editor (beta) will not corrupt my files. I am hesitant to try it again, though, until I hear of at least some people who are using it successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it for the first time with 18.1. Abysmally slow on a table-heavy document, just like Story Editor is. No corruption I can see though. But I won't be trying it again soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Keith,

never tried it.

Seems, that it's not part of my German InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines