• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupted Cursor in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't verify if this is an issue with the upcoming version of macOS High Sierra (I've noticed it across several public betas), but the cursor will begin to act odd after switching between apps and InDesign 2017.1. When switching between other apps and InDesign, the regular arrow mouse cursor becomes to a box that changes depending on the the interaction with the page elements.  It takes a restart of InDesign to get the normal cursors/arrow back. Not sure if it's unique to switching between certain apps, but it's quite tricky to use once it acts up like this. No issues like this with any other Adobe apps. Anyone else on High Sierra have this issue?

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Hi everyone,

This issue has been resolved with the MacOS 10.13 Supplemental Update released today. Please update your OS if you're experiencing this issue with High Sierra.

pasted_image_at_2017_10_05_12_33_pm.png

Thanks,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Howard, If you are facing any issues with InDesign prerelease builds please discuss them in the prerelease forum and we will be able to help you there.

Regards,

-Pradeep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pradeep,

Thanks for your update. Greatly appreciated. I'm sure your team had an even more pronounced "WTF?" moment than we did when we first discovered the cursor issue.

Question: Has your team found if there are specific events that trigger the cursor to go wonky? It would be helpful to know if there's something we can do to keep from triggering it if it is avoidable. From my end, I've been thinking about naming it when it suddenly appears, so I can at least give it a proper hello before zapping it with a quit and restart.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed public release. Same issue. Reinstalling Sierra is not a fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - installed High Sierra public release on all of our machines and we are all having this issue with the cursor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I'll step on soapbox and ask you this:

What the hell were you thinking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol okay bob. I'm just adding to the thread so I can get updates if there is a fix or workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to repeat what's already been said...the fix will have to come from Apple. FWIW, I think that's probably the good news here.

They've been known to issue fixes faster than Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good news

It is only happening on my iMac 4K and iMac 5K ... older ones seem to be okay! Also, it only has the wonky cursor when you are outside the canvas ... annoying, but not the end of the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still don't get what's so special about InDesign's cursors as compared to Photoshop's or Powerpoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What in world is your point? Do worship at the Church of Cupertino where Apple can do no wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether you or Adobe realize it or not, you do Adobe a disservice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are plenty of bugs and shortcomings in InDesign, some that have been there for years. Why pick this one to deny?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are plenty of bugs and shortcoming in InDesign. This one actually makes the user stop what they are doing, save their progress, quit the program, reopen the program, reopen the file, then continue whatever it was they were doing.

Calling users Apple apologists and telling them they worship at the Church of Cupertino does no service to Adobe. If anything it alienates and encourages users to look for alternatives. Users just want their software to work, that's why we pay the subscription.

There use to be a time when the customer was always right. Even if you, the business, didn't agree with them, you patiently listened to their gripes and tried to solve it for them. Not called them names and made accusations against them.

In either case, I'm unsubbing, I'll check the CC menu for an update from now on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m just a user/volunteer here. I don’t work for or speak for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"However, InDesign CC 2017 (and earlier versions) for Mac was not optimized for High Sierra".

My original point wasn't who was to blame - more that it felt like Adobe hadn't tested this and reported it earlier. I accept it might have been thrown in a later build but it feels like they (Adobe) waited for user reports. Ditto Wacom.

Apple OS updates have huge uptake and I don't understand the pause between the Beta release and this being sorted.

Again - Apple or Adobe the point I was making is this beta period exists to squash these bugs and rolling back an OS is madness (in this case you are swapping file formats on the HD).

You can make a good argument that mission critical machines should wait for point releases, but "roll back" isn't at all straight forward here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the hell were you thinking?

I was thinking "What the hell was I so upset about?" In the history of InDesign glitches, this one rates about a 2 out of 10. I work for 20 minutes, the cursor goes wonky, and it's a reminder I need to stand up and walk around while I quit and restart InDesign. I once paid $2.99 for an app that did the same friggin' thing, only worse. It would freeze my entire system unless I'd get up and walk around every 20 minutes.

Adobe should claim they did this intententionally because too many of us were sitting for hours working at InDesign and not getting up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could buy a fitbit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, off-topic here...

Hah. Your comment:

Adobe should claim they did this intententionally because too many of us were sitting for hours working at InDesign and not getting up.

reminded me of a humurous opening post in the following thread:

Awesome New Adobe Creative Break Initiative!

Had a heck of a chuckle out of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose it's a macOS graphics problem since I've discovered similar issues and graphical glitches in other apps (non CC) as well. Quitting InDesign and restarting only helps for a short amount of time before the funky block cursor reappears. Also the apps between the switches don't matter at all: it occurs with CC apps and other apps, too. I've tested on my MacBook Pro Mid 2012.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

As you know, Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra is now publicly available for all Mac users to install. However, InDesign CC 2017 (and earlier versions) for Mac was not optimized for High Sierra. We are actively working with Apple on this issue to get it fixed asap. If you are experiencing InDesign compatibility issues with High Sierra, please report them to Adobe InDesign Feedback. By reporting on User Voice you will receive a notification when the issues are resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Here's a link with more details: Known issues - Running InDesign CC on macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone trying rolling back to InDesign CC 2017.0 (i.e. without the most recent InDesign 2017 update installed) ? I just did that and it seems to be working so far....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, InDesign CC 2017 (and earlier versions) for Mac was not optimized for High Sierra.

Hi Om, Thanks for your comment. As a longtime user of InDesign, I'm just wondering--what was it you guys were doing since June? When Apple or Microsoft are making major operating system upgrades, wouldn't that be something your InDesign team would have been focusing on?

I would think it would be a matter of pride to have your flagship apps optimized for the release of a new operating system, whether it's Microsoft or Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Goofy+Foot+Press  wrote

However, InDesign CC 2017 (and earlier versions) for Mac was not optimized for High Sierra.

Hi Om, Thanks for your comment. As a longtime user of InDesign, I'm just wondering--what was it you guys were doing since June? When Apple or Microsoft are making major operating system upgrades, wouldn't that be something your InDesign team would have been focusing on?

I would think it would be a matter of pride to have your flagship apps optimized for the release of a new operating system, whether it's Microsoft or Apple.

Dear “Goofy Foot Press” and others on this thread …

I'm glad that you appear to know so much about development and maintenance of exceptionally complex application software and exactly what the InDesign development team has been doing or not doing.

Do you really think that Adobe's engineering groups don't test with new OS versions and that they take great pleasure in customers (including themselves) having to deal with these “issues?”

The fact is that all Adobe teams do test with alpha, beta, and release candidates of new operating system versions. And they report a good number of “anomalies” to those operating system developers. And we continually track progress of the OS developers in fixing these issues. The problem is that the release of new operating system versions is governed more by predetermined dates provided by marketing as opposed to “when the software is ready.” Plenty of serious OS and driver bugs that cannot be worked around by Adobe and other software developers are postponed by the OS developers to one or more dot releases into the future. Adobe and other software developers have little if any leverage over such fix postponements.

And even with significant amount of testing within Adobe and by our customers with pre-release OS versions, there will still be issues that will be found post-OS release in heavy, real world use of applications.

I will repeat the advice provided by others on this thread. If you are earning a living using application software, it behooves you to be very conservative in terms of adopting new OS or application versions. Trying MacOS 10.13 on a test machine on its first day out is one thing, but updating production systems in the same way is playing a bad game of Russian Roulette with your ability to earn a living.

- Dov

PS:     This thread has run its course. A user posted the problem, the cause was identified and confirmed by Adobe. And we don't know when Apple will provide the 10.13.1 MacOS update to fix this!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi everyone,

This issue has been resolved with the MacOS 10.13 Supplemental Update released today. Please update your OS if you're experiencing this issue with High Sierra.

pasted_image_at_2017_10_05_12_33_pm.png

Thanks,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines