Highlighted

Cout occurences of Paragraph Style

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm Trying to split a 300+ page document into chapters and sections (unless in idd it's called sections and sub-sections, not sure) [n is a running number in my examples]

If I go to sections and numbering, I can do that automatically, but it starts at the absolute number (I don't want the title and ToC to be counted as pages). When I tell it to start at a certain number, I can't use a negative like -5 to ignore the first n pages. I don't want to assign the pages manually anyways, bc. the ToC might change the no. of pages I don't want to count.

Do I really need to set up the section and chapter count for each chapter/section manually? If so, I know how to do that, no need to post the process here.

I think the most simple solution is what the ToC does, specify a paragraph style and always treat it like a (sub)section. I can do that with a running header, but cannot find a way to count sections, only chapters - and those start at 2 as well bc. of the ToC.

E.g. when I want each section heading to have chapter  X.section n in front of the heading. And I want figures in Chapter 1 (not counting the ToC) to be captioned 1.n., not 2.n as it is right now.

In case someone has the same problems:

1. Manually start counting pages in the 1. chapter you want to start counting to 1.

2. I still don't know how to number chapters automatically, it always says 1. chapter, even though their names get recognized correctly, manually assigned chapter numbers now (not ideal)

3. In the paragraph options und bullets and numbering you can count occurences. Really straight forward, chapters being counted by variables, sections by bullets and numberings *sorry for the sarcasm.

4. Numbering the chapters manually also fixed the figure numbering

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cout occurences of Paragraph Style

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm Trying to split a 300+ page document into chapters and sections (unless in idd it's called sections and sub-sections, not sure) [n is a running number in my examples]

If I go to sections and numbering, I can do that automatically, but it starts at the absolute number (I don't want the title and ToC to be counted as pages). When I tell it to start at a certain number, I can't use a negative like -5 to ignore the first n pages. I don't want to assign the pages manually anyways, bc. the ToC might change the no. of pages I don't want to count.

Do I really need to set up the section and chapter count for each chapter/section manually? If so, I know how to do that, no need to post the process here.

I think the most simple solution is what the ToC does, specify a paragraph style and always treat it like a (sub)section. I can do that with a running header, but cannot find a way to count sections, only chapters - and those start at 2 as well bc. of the ToC.

E.g. when I want each section heading to have chapter  X.section n in front of the heading. And I want figures in Chapter 1 (not counting the ToC) to be captioned 1.n., not 2.n as it is right now.

1. Manually start counting pages in the 1. chapter you want to start counting to 1.

2. I still don't know how to number chapters automatically, it always says 1. chapter, even though their names get recognized correctly, manually assigned chapter numbers now (not ideal)

3. In the paragraph options und bullets and numbering you can count occurences. Really straight forward, chapters being counted by variables, sections by bullets and numberings *sorry for the sarcasm.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 27, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2020 0