• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create a Block in a layout that i can use multiple times on the same layout and edit 1, edits all.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, Im new to the InDesign game, i need to create a block or icon (shape and text) that can be used in multiple places around my page, these will all be the same and have the same info, but if i want to change the colour of all of them, i want to edit just one and the rest update automatically, i can do this in Autocad using a Block.

Thanks for your time.

CopeJ_1-1596697108179.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Are you familiar with Photoshop and/or Illustrator? You could design elements within these programs and Place them into InDesign. They can be used multiple times and updating the original PSD or AI files will update immediately within InDesign.

You could actually do the same with InDesign files. InDesign files can be happily inserted into other InDesign files using the Place command.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a use case for masterpages. Objects placed on masterpages appear on all the pages that has the masterpage applied. See the following article for details

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/master-pages.html

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manan,

Im not sure if this is what im after, i need multiple objects on teh same sheet, in various and random locations. but all of the objects are as one 'block'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you familiar with Photoshop and/or Illustrator? You could design elements within these programs and Place them into InDesign. They can be used multiple times and updating the original PSD or AI files will update immediately within InDesign.

You could actually do the same with InDesign files. InDesign files can be happily inserted into other InDesign files using the Place command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mr Bullo - ive just done this and it's worked a treat. just using InDesign and placing. 

Thanks for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks mate. Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could create an object style, apply this style to the objects, then if you modify the object style attributes, all the objects will be modified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jmlevy,

Ive tried Mr Bullo's method and its worked, ill try yours next. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines