• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create a Glossary in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a Glossary or something similar to it in InDesign for a book that I am working on. What I want is not an index. Though I feel that the "Index" option may be the way to make what I am trying to do. I just can't find anything to support what I want. 

Ideally, I would like to have certain words or phrases that are important to appear or populate automatically under assigned categories as well as alphabetically. For example, if I wanted to sort one topic as "Characters" then another as "Locations" and have topics appear under each like "John Doe" under characters then an about him or her and also "Some Kind of Desert" as an area under location with a description of it would be perfect. Then as more things are added have them all sorted alphabetically. 

Any suggestions from the wizards of the internet would be helpful, and very much appreciated!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Sync and storage , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of now there isn't a way to do this, but certainly worth suggesting it as a feature request: https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Speaking for myself, glossaries are usually added as another text frame. What could be done is to assign a character style called "for glossary" that doesn't change the appearance of the type but can be called upon by a script such as Indiscript's Indexmatic that can make an index independent of InDesign's index feature: http://www.indiscripts.com/category/projects/IndexMatic - from there you will have a list of words in alpha order, and all that is left to do is add the descriptions for the words used in the glossary.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for that information! I can definitely try doing that.

My next question would be this then; could I adjust the text to be sorted in a particular way? As I previously mentioned, I will have instead of the typical "A", "B", "C", etc., it would be "Characters", "Locations", etc.. And then under characters or locations there would be additional information on those mentioned, and the "Main Category" of characters and locations being sorting alphabetically and also everything in the "Sub Category" be sorted alphabetically as well. 

Is that something possible still with what you mentioned or I am being a dreamer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines