Create a multiple record data merge doc that is larger than 8.5 x 11

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I have used data merge I have made gangs of records on letter-sized page. For my current project, however, I was hoping (assuming) I could create a merged document larger than letter-sized. My source document is 2.5"W x 3.5"H. I want to create a 25"W x 17.5"H document that merges 50 of the source pages onto one page. I want no space between the source pages and no border space around the outside (this is easy, I know where those settings are). I spent quite a while researching and digging through the InDesign menus and found no reference at all to defining the size of the merged document. I would literally be shocked if a program as sophisticated as InD does not allow this control. But I am also shocked that the manual does not mention the page size of the merged doc at all, even if just to say it is fixed - you can only merge files onto a letter sheet.

I thought maybe you need to work with the page setup as though preparing to send a job to print, but I was not able to define my desired page size there because it doesn't relate to any printer driver. 

I imagined the data merge dialogue box would let you specify a number of columns and rows.

Is there anyway to do what I need? In the meantime I had to do a single record data merge, export each of the 50 pages as individual PNGs, create a dedicated document at the large, gang size, then import each individual image in and lay it out again there. Not horrible, but really a complete waste of time given that we are talking about an automated feature. And I need to do this again for other documents and when I need to edit some of the pages I will have to do it all over again. I should be able to set this up and have it made with one click.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Create a multiple record data merge doc that is larger than 8.5 x 11

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I have used data merge I have made gangs of records on letter-sized page. For my current project, however, I was hoping (assuming) I could create a merged document larger than letter-sized. My source document is 2.5"W x 3.5"H. I want to create a 25"W x 17.5"H document that merges 50 of the source pages onto one page. I want no space between the source pages and no border space around the outside (this is easy, I know where those settings are). I spent quite a while researching and digging through the InDesign menus and found no reference at all to defining the size of the merged document. I would literally be shocked if a program as sophisticated as InD does not allow this control. But I am also shocked that the manual does not mention the page size of the merged doc at all, even if just to say it is fixed - you can only merge files onto a letter sheet.

I thought maybe you need to work with the page setup as though preparing to send a job to print, but I was not able to define my desired page size there because it doesn't relate to any printer driver. 

I imagined the data merge dialogue box would let you specify a number of columns and rows.

Is there anyway to do what I need? In the meantime I had to do a single record data merge, export each of the 50 pages as individual PNGs, create a dedicated document at the large, gang size, then import each individual image in and lay it out again there. Not horrible, but really a complete waste of time given that we are talking about an automated feature. And I need to do this again for other documents and when I need to edit some of the pages I will have to do it all over again. I should be able to set this up and have it made with one click.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

just define the master document with the size you want as result.

Position your 2.5 x 3.5 sample at the top-left edge of the page of your master that is sized: 2.5 x 10 and 3.5 x 5 .

Set margins to 0 in your data merge panel and define the gaps to 0 as well.

That's all…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here some screenshots from my German InDesign where I set my units to Inch ( "Zoll" in German ) :

Sample-1.PNG

Sample-2.PNG

Result after the merge, 50 items per page:

Sample-3.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0