Highlighted

Create ascending serial numbers on different master pages

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a book where I need to apply ascending serial numbers to pages.

I am using 4 different master pages. 

Is there a way to create a numbered list that continues throughout different masters? 

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 1.59.37 PM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Mike Witherell | Adobe Community Professional

Type > Insert Special Character > Marker > Current Page Number. This would be built into a textframe on the master, and copied to the same position on the other masters, too.

Also, the textframe on the master page could have a numbered list defined as part of the paragraph style, and it would apply a number to an empty hard return in the textframe.

Also, if your numbers change and arent always consistent, you could make that same master page textframe contain a datamerge field that would match the correct number into the position on the page.

TOPICS
How to, Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Create ascending serial numbers on different master pages

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a book where I need to apply ascending serial numbers to pages.

I am using 4 different master pages. 

Is there a way to create a numbered list that continues throughout different masters? 

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 1.59.37 PM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Mike Witherell | Adobe Community Professional

Type > Insert Special Character > Marker > Current Page Number. This would be built into a textframe on the master, and copied to the same position on the other masters, too.

Also, the textframe on the master page could have a numbered list defined as part of the paragraph style, and it would apply a number to an empty hard return in the textframe.

Also, if your numbers change and arent always consistent, you could make that same master page textframe contain a datamerge field that would match the correct number into the position on the page.

TOPICS
How to, Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike,

The serialized number should not inherit the actual ID page number. 

It's more of a list that ascends throughout the book. 

In some pages for example, that serial number is not showing (using a master without that serail number). 

E

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then the second or third idea would be better.

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Will try it out

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0