• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

create grid of frames with set gap size within preset dimensions

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to simplify the process of creating layouts for digital photo album creation. I want a grid of frames with .125 gaps between all of the frames, however, I want the entire grid to remain within preset boundaries. So I make a rectangular frame within the preset boundary (let's say 8x5) with the frame tool, then while still holding the mouse down, I click the right arrow key twice and the up arrow key twice, giving me a beautiful 3x3 grid of equal-sized frames. Now I go to the align menu and select each row and each column separately to insert .125 gap between each picture (incidentally, is there a quicker way to do this, like select the whole grid? doesn't seem to work for me). The problem with this approach is that the grid is now 8.5" wide and 5.5" high instead of the preset size of 8x5 that I need. I know I could make my original frame that much smaller to account for this "growth", but I want to know if there is a more elegant way to do this...somehow constraining to the original size? (All frames within the grid must be exactly the same dimensions). Any help from seasoned inDesigners much appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

As I recall, the default gap for grids will be the same dimension specified in Document Setup for the column gutter.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I recall, the default gap for grids will be the same dimension specified in Document Setup for the column gutter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank-you! This works.

I'm just going to tell myself that all the time I spent trying to figure this out with the frame tool, the align tool and the gap tool was worth it because now I understand those tools so much better.

I so appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Denette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correction: should be 8.25 x 5.25, not 8.5 x 5.5 (not that it's the crux of the question, but an error nonetheless).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines