• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create paragraph style from selected text?

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2013 Aug 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a paragraph style from selected text in InDesign CS6 (Mac). There has to be a simple command for this.

For example, if I'm formatting text that has no paragraph style and decide I want to save the formatting as a new style to be able to apply it elsewhere, there is no command to "create new paragraph style from selected text." The only option, it seems, is to manually create a new paragraph style, click on that style, which of course annihilates all the desired formatting, redo all of the formitting (assuming one rememebers it), then right-click on the paragraph style and hope the "Redifine Style" option is available (which it often isn't).

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

1. Select the text or keep blink your cursor on the text and open Paragraph style (Press F11), on the paragraph style panel click on the menu and choose New Paragraph Style

001.gif

2. In this New Paragraph Style dialog box you can do your desire setting and check the box "Apply Style to Selection"

002.gif

OR

1. Create your desire text and click on that created text (or select the text) and click on create new style button which is shown on the image

01.gif

2. When you click on create new style in the paragraph style list

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Format some text, select some of it, create new style. The attributes will be in the new style. Though you still need to apply the style ton the paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a checkbox within the paragraph style creation dialog to "Apply style to selected text".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heh, heh. But I almost never remember to check it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This newly created style then has no attributes in my case ? So I have to do recreate it manually.

Im looking for a workaround for creating paragraph styles from text, and another one to convert them to a character style.

What is the way of doing this? I want to adjust text and create a style from it when pleased, then adjust some more, update adjustments into style, copy paste it to character styles or other documents.

Is that possible in any way ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2016 Aug 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

linusr31378619 schrieb:

This newly created style then has no attributes in my case ? So I have to do recreate it manually.

Im looking for a workaround for creating paragraph styles from text, and another one to convert them to a character style.

What is the way of doing this? I want to adjust text and create a style from it when pleased, then adjust some more, update adjustments into style, copy paste it to character styles or other documents.

Is that possible in any way ?

It seems to me, that you are not creating a Paragraph Style, instead you make a Character Style. In a character style only those fields are filled and defined which are different to the applied paragraph style.

A character style must not have more fields defined as necessary—contrary to Quark Xpress—than it would make the difference to a paragraph style. In Quark Xpress you would have to define for a red style all font properties and create another character style for a different basic paragraph style, in InDesign you can use the same style when only the color red is defined for different underlaying paragraph properties.

Per default, a Paragraph Style does not contain any Character style, only for GREP, nested, line, bullet and number styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the way of doing this? I want to adjust text and create a style from it when pleased

When you create a new paragraph style with some text selected the style attributes come from the first insertion point of the selected text—so if there is a mix of attributes in the selected text the first character is used to form the new style.

then adjust some more, update adjustments into style

When you adjust or Override [+] a style you can use Redefine Style from the panel flyout menu to apply the changes to the paragraph style containing the selected text. If the selected text has a mix of attributes Redefine Style will be grayed out, so you may need to insert your cursor rather than select a range of text in order to redefine the style.

, copy paste it to character styles or other documents.

You can move a style into another document by copying and pasting text with the style applied. If the style exists in the destination document, the destination attributes are applied. You can also use Load Styles from the flyout menu to load styles from another document and choose how to resolve conflicts with same named styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks guys that helps a lot,

its so hard sometimes to find out simple things like this,

I feel like i dont get the workflow idea of indesign at all, how its meant, why things are like this... i constantly try to find workarounds on the internet so i know the important features, I have done a lot of tutorials, but i feel like I am working against the idea of the programs structure all the time.

Any suggestions where i can get that idea? Like how professionals use it, why things are how they are?

I have been using Adobe Suite Products for a while now but they always baffle me, often enough I seem to hit a wall with my patchwork knowledge which is frustrating when you have projects with a timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like how professionals use it, why things are how they are?

As a trainer, I'd of course suggest that you take a class on InDesign. If the cost isn't feasible, consider investing in Adobe InDesign Classroom in a Book and work through it, or subscribe to Lynda.com and take the time to go through the Essential videos on InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that's very good advice. A lot of times folks get thrown into situations where they have to use applications like InDesign without first having the time to get the basics down. Lynda courses will take you through things in a logical progression so you understand the basics before moving on to the more complicated stuff that you might be pressed to do when a deadline is imminent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks guys !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Select the text or keep blink your cursor on the text and open Paragraph style (Press F11), on the paragraph style panel click on the menu and choose New Paragraph Style

001.gif

2. In this New Paragraph Style dialog box you can do your desire setting and check the box "Apply Style to Selection"

002.gif

OR

1. Create your desire text and click on that created text (or select the text) and click on create new style button which is shown on the image

01.gif

2. When you click on create new style in the paragraph style list a Paragraph style 1 will appear but it will not highlighted, it will highlight on the default style "Basic Paragraph", So you have to just click once on the paragraph style 1 and double click on it to rename it.

02.gif

It will preserve the style what you have created.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this problem: "...redo all the formatting then right-click on the paragraph style and hope the "Redifine Style" option is available (which it often isn't)...."

Do not select whole paragraph, cause frequently you have mixed formatting in the paragraph (last character - EndOfParagraph may have different formatting than rest of paragraph for example) and than InDesign cannot decide what formatting to apply to ParagraphStyle and makes "redefine style" unavailable. Make sure you have only placed cursor in modified text and than right-click on paragraph style to have redefine option available...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This does not keep what I have selected! 

Please can you explain a different way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines