• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a PDF In Spreads, that prints in pages- without the center line

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a document. It is two 8.5x11 pages side by side, so 11x17 as a spread, 8.5x11 as a page. I have created the document in Adobe InDesign. My goal is to export the PDF to be viewed in spreads, but have the document be set up to print on 8.5x11 pages. If I export a PDF in pages, with a layout of Two-up Facing I can almost achieve what I need. The problem is when I go to View, Page Display, 2 page view I get a solid or dotted line down the center.

How can I send this PDF to my clients so they can view spreads, print pages, and not have a line in the middle of the spread?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

As Bob mentioned, you are running into an Acrobat issue. 

If the PDF file size is not an issue, you could:

• Output two PDFs from InDesign--one as single pages and one as spreads.
  • Open the spreads PDF and add the single-pages PDF as an attachment
  • Add a button to the spreads PDF that opens the attachment
  • The client could then print the single-pages PDF (you could add another button) or you could add a document JavaScript to automatically open the Print dialog box.

(This is one of a couple of id

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't.

You can set the initial view but that's probably only going to work with Acrobat or Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob. This is so frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your clients should be able to print pages as spreads out of Acrobat via the Multiple button. Here I’m printing the 2-3 pages as a spread

Screen Shot 11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Rob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Bob mentioned, you are running into an Acrobat issue. 

If the PDF file size is not an issue, you could:

• Output two PDFs from InDesign--one as single pages and one as spreads.
  • Open the spreads PDF and add the single-pages PDF as an attachment
  • Add a button to the spreads PDF that opens the attachment
  • The client could then print the single-pages PDF (you could add another button) or you could add a document JavaScript to automatically open the Print dialog box.

(This is one of a couple of ideas, but it's probably the easiest to impliment.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IDEAS-Training you are my hero! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I've never used buttons before, but I just did a test and it seems to work well. Now I just need to decide how to make it look good on my PDF. Thank you thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best option is to create the button elsewhere, set the Acrobat button to icon only, then select the graphic. Acrobat's button graphic options are horrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats exactly what I did! Their buttons are horrible.  I just sent an email to myself with the PDF attached. The button isn't working when I download the PDF. Am I doing something wrong? It seems to work fine from my desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make sure you are completely downloading the PDF to your hard drive, not opening it in a browser window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines