Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a photo mat

Engaged ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All: 

I want to create an oval mat with a fancy corner of some type fo cover a photo -- in other words, I am creating a self-matting artwork that I intend to print on a printer.  What is the best way to have only the portion of the photo within the oval show while having the mat appear as white or another color with the gold borders covering the white mat?  Thanks.  I also have Photoshop and Illustrator if the work is better done in those workspaces.  Click the image to see the full effect of the outer mat.

5x7BlankHorizontalOVALTEST.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Select the photo and use Command (Mac)/Control (PC)-x to cut it to the pasteboard. Then select only the oval and then go to Edit>Paste Into. This will put the photo within the oval. Then you can select the rectangle with the scalloped corners and fill it with whatever color you want. Make sure that the rectangle is either below the oval in the stacking order or on a layer that is below the oval.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the photo and use Command (Mac)/Control (PC)-x to cut it to the pasteboard. Then select only the oval and then go to Edit>Paste Into. This will put the photo within the oval. Then you can select the rectangle with the scalloped corners and fill it with whatever color you want. Make sure that the rectangle is either below the oval in the stacking order or on a layer that is below the oval.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Bill,

Thanks much -- that was a very easy solution that worked perfectly!  I appreciate it, and HAVE A GREAT DAY!  Barbara Smits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm just trying to create a simple ellipse cut-out which shows my photo and to fill in the background with a color. This method did not work for me. I created a second layer with the ellipse but when I went to "Edit", "paste into" was not an available option. Any help will be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Bill,

Right now the mat is in two layers -- the oval and the corners are two separate layers -- is there a way to flatten them into one layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines