Creating a style sheet crashes my computer

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I create a paragraph style, mu computer shuts down and crashes. Does nayone know why?

It's so frustrating...Any suggestion will help--Thank you!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Creating a style sheet crashes my computer

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I create a paragraph style, mu computer shuts down and crashes. Does nayone know why?

It's so frustrating...Any suggestion will help--Thank you!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 05, 2021 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With zero information, no, we can't help.

What version of InDesign? What operating system? One file or all files? Have you checked for corrupt fonts?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 05, 2021 0
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sorry--here's more info—

Indesign 2020 16.0.1  I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 (19H2)

The crashing happens to any indesign file I try to make a Paragraph style sheet in.

I haven't checked for curropt fonts--no warning come up for corrupt fonts--but is there a way to check?

Thanks for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 05, 2021 0
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar, but other crashings after installing Catalina and now after installing BigSur. Everytime I realised, that my User Libraries were loade with over 120 GB and hundred thousands of objects. The I made a CleanInstall, which reduced – after all programs were reloaded – to about 10%. The same happende a year ago. The more you do, the more dead bodies accumulate in the libraries. Do not use the TimeMachine reinstalling mac os, as this would bring all the dead bodies back. So careful backups are necessary and a docmentation, how you get all the rented or bought apps working again. And how to find locally archived mails, etc. Doing it the third time over the years, I needed about a day before everything worked as before.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 05, 2021 0
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this Woodley!

So you're saying I need to do a wipeout of my computer and reinstall everyting? that worked for you?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 05, 2021 0
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it did, twice over the last 16 months.

But you need full TimeMachine backups until the "break", to get local Mails and many other "templates" (e.g., Bridge, etc.) and archived objects back. Mail, Contact, Notes, Calendar etc. should be specified in the "cloud volume" (I use the minimum cloud space of 2 GB) and are automatically back after a Clean Install. I also copied all programms, archives on an additional external volume to retrieve downloaded apps. And have a list of all the access codes or licenses on hand - or better stored externally!

As you do this the first time, you may need some time. I documented all my search to get back to "normal", the second time Clean Install was rather fast. After a little more than an hour, BigSur was ready, Microsoft Office and the Adobe CC Suite was loaded within an hour or less. I needed some time to finde templates, at least the Adobe programs tell you, where they hide in the user library. Certain things were different in Catalyna, when retrieving local mails. Most objects hide under fantasy names in the User/Library/Mail or */Application Support. Getting all back via time machine requires some tries, it is not at all user friendly. Using TM to retrieve User/Library/Mail/V7 or V8, only restores *.mbox files in the directory "Archive" (the same place for exported archived Mails, they also are *.mbox files. From here you can import local Mails via Mail/ Mailbox import.

My observation, under BigSur everything seems to run smoother than under Catalyna. Although, after BigSur installation, the 3 Libraries were as overloaded as under Catalyna and forced me, due to an increasing number of program crashes (System- and NMRAM-resets did not help), to perform a new Clean Install. Anyway, frequent users of Macs recommend regular Clean Installs (I told you before, that in my cases, CleanInstalls reduced to total space and number of objects in the 3 Libraries (i.e., mainly the User/Lib) by factors).

Good luck! It needs some courage, some preparations as sketched out above and you may get quick help from the community, when you cannot find some objects over the TimeMachine...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 0